Chapter 43

Tw: smut/thoughts of sex, choking, degrading, exhibitionism/ public sex/ risk of being heard or caught.

I am driving back to the Chateau when I hit a red light. All the adrenaline from seeing Rafe is gone, now replaced by fear and I'm mad that he scared me. I look down at my right arm and see that Rafe left a hand-shaped bruise from when he grabbed me. I turn off my music because it no longer represents my mood. I just want to get home and cuddle with JJ and then maybe work on my car.

Time skip

I finally get home and I get out of my car. I quickly head inside.

    " JJ!" I call out, hoping that he's here.

" He just went to the corner store." John B explains, rounding the corner.

     I run up to JB and hug him, as tears start to escape from my eyes.

" Hey, what's wrong?" John B asks, hugging me tightly.

     I don't respond, I just bury my head into his shirt. After a moment, John B pulls away and looks me up and down. His eyes finally land on my arm, and I can see the anger in his eyes.

     " Who did this?" John B asks, concern in his voice.

     " Rafe." I answer meekly, looking up at John B.

     JB guides me over to sit down at the table, and he sits next to me.

     " When did you see Rafe?" John B asks, clenching his fists, but keeping his voice calm.

     " At work. He came in by himself and I had to serve him because he was sat in my section." I explain, wiping my tears away.

     " What else happened?" John B presses.

" He kept calling me babe and asking for my number, and when I told him to stop calling me babe he grabbed my arm. Then, he kept asking for my number and I was getting annoyed so I wrote down ' 1 (708) suckadick' and he didn't appreciate that. He told me that I would regret it, and then when I was leaving he told me to watch my back, and he told me to tell you, Pope, and JJ, to watch your backs too." I explain, no longer crying.

     " I should kill him." JB mumbles under his breath.

     " It's my fault, I should have just been professional, maybe then none of this would be happening." I say, biting at my lips, another bad habit I developed because of my anxiety, and another form of self harm.

     " This isn't your fault, Makena. Not everything's your fault." John B says, placing his hand over mine, trying to comfort me.

     " Not that I disagree with that statement, but why are we talking about why not everything is MJ's fault?" JJ asks from behind us, startling me. I turn around and see JJ standing there, smiling, with two small bags in his hand.

     I stay silent, knowing that when he finds out about what Rafe did, he will definitely get mad. I just look down at my feet. I feel JB's gaze, him silently telling me to speak up, but I ignore him, keeping my eyes on the floor.

     " Hello? Someone wanna fill me in?" JJ asks, concern and annoyance mixing in his voice.

     " She ran into Rafe today." John B vaguely explains.

     " Well, what happened?" JJ asks, leaning against the kitchen counter.

    " He make a couple moves, asking for her number and calling her babe. Then he grabbed her." John B explains.

     " What? Where?" JJ asks, getting louder.

I don't answer, and John B looks at me, telling me to tell JJ.