Chapter 52

" All right, you guys got rope?" John B asks.

     " Got it." Pope answers.

" Grappling hook?" JB asks.

     " No grappling hook, we're not Batman." I answer, chuckling to myself.

" Pulley?" JB asks, as we pull up to the Crain house.

     " Check." Kiara asks.

" Dark clothes?" John B asks, as if he didn't see us get into his car.

     " No, I'm actually wearing a bright orange, glow in the dark shirt." I answer sarcastically, getting a chuckle from JJ but an unamused look from John B.

" Got it." Sarah says, ignoring my comment.

     " Flashlights?" JB asks.

" Check." JJ answers, grabbing my bag and grabbing my bag and pulling out the flashlights and handing one to everyone.

     " Alright, good. We're ready." John B says, as park in front of the house.

" Let's go get rich, guys." JJ says as John B gets out of the car and walks around to the side door.

     " Hell, yeah." Kie agrees.

" Let's go boys." Sarah says.

     " And girls." Kiara adds.

" Let's go." Pope says, about to get out of the van when John B stops us.

     " Wait, wait," John B starts, and we all stop and look at him.

" I wanna say thank you, guys. Seriously." John B says, pausing. His face is sincere and he has a slight smile.

     " It means a lot that you're here tonight." John B says to all of us, but he's looking at Kiara and I. Kie just rolls her eyes but she's smiling.

" Always." Kie says.

      " Of course, bro." I add, smiling at him.

" Of course, man." Pope says, doing his special handshake with JB.

     John B and Sarah just look at each other for a moment, the love they have for each other clear in their eyes.

" Alright, we done with this circle jerk? Can we go do this?" JJ asks, ruining the moment, but it makes me chuckle anyway.

     " Yeah." Kie says, stepping out of the van.

" Let's go get that wheat in the water." Pope says enthusiastically.

     " Weed? I'm up for weed." I say sarcastically.

" Me too." JJ adds.

     " Wheat, I said wheat." Pope says, emphasizing the t at the end.

" After you, ladies first." Kie says to Sarah as Sarah climbs over the wall.

     " Alley-oop." Sarah says as she gets over the wall and disappears behind it. Kiara follows closely behind her, followed by me, and the boys.

We walk through the trees in silence, each of our flashlights on, it's almost pitch black in the woods. We all stop walking once we are in front of the house. A bright porch light comes on and we all run behind trees and bushes.

     " Shit." Kiara, Sarah, and I say at the same time.

" Go, go, go." Pope says. running to the bush.

     " Flashlights." Kiara exclaims, and almost everyone's light goes off.

" Oh shit, it's on strobe." JJ exclaims, his flashlight quickly going on and off as he struggles to turn it off. He finally gets it off and lets out a sigh of relief.