A Moment Worth Remembering

Logan

We were due for the school field trip today. Thanks to mom and Mrs. P, Sophie and I were headed early this morning to the school to volunteer for the annual hiking trip on the old trail up the mountains.

We hadn't slept so much last night, which means Sophie was still fast asleep in the car.

The weather was getting pretty chilly since its the beginning of winter after all. Luckily, it was not snowing yet.

The reason why they hold the trail during the time is that most years and big animals are hibernating. There are fewer probabilities of any student being attacked by an animal if they strive away from us.

Plus the fact there are still a few does out there we can still see.

We were headed a little early since we were supposed to be there before the other students got there, so I stopped and got her a muffin and coffee and parked the car next to the school bus.

I woke her up and handed her her coffee and chocolate muffin, "Thanks, babe. I'm starving." She said as she stretched out kissing me on the cheek."
"Anything for you babe," I answered, nudging my nose against hers, making her smile.

We ate our muffins in peace, finished our coffees, and headed out of the car. Our teacher was barely getting here when we were getting out of the car. Students began to arrive and before long, we were headed to the mountain.

Thirty minutes later, the bus parked and we got out one by one. The teacher gave us her usual speech of rules and regulations and split us into groups.

Sophie and I had gotten stuck with backpacks full of sandwiches to hand out once we got to the end of the trail.

The whole walk was pretty calm. Though it was going too slow for my liking. Students kept stopping to take pictures everywhere, especially those with their new TikTok accounts. It was pretty irritating. I wanted the whole trial to be done and over with.

I wanted to go home and make sure Ashley was ok. She's been pretty bummed out since the whole thing with dad. The only person that doesn't know is Sophie. I haven't had the heart to tell her about it. She already has so much not known about her mom being sick.

I can't help but feel guilty about it. Mrs. P is a fighter, that's for sure. Though I worry how Sophie will take it once she finds out about it.

I felt a tap on my shoulder as I walked with my head down pensively, "Babe, babe, look. There's a doe and her fawn over there, look." Sophie whispered, pointing towards them. The small fawn was eating a few leaves off of a small bush, surrounded by shrubs and trees.

It's as if the doe had sensed us, she guarded the premises around her fawn, moving her ears from side to side. Soon as I stepped forward, her small black orbs averted towards us, startled, she stepped both feet forward and froze in place.

Sophie gasped and held my arm with a tight grip. She held her breath to still herself from moving. The fawn raised her head, and just like a careless child, began to prance towards Sophie. The momma was afraid, and I didn't blame her. Soon, hunting season would be opened. Many of these does would lose their lives.

Sophie's eyes lit up, making her take a small step back. "Logan, Logan the baby fawn is coming." She whispered, standing still in place. Her arm gripped so right around me, I felt her fingers digging through my jacket.

The small fawn came inches away from Sophie, stopping right in front of her. I couldn't believe it. My girl has a pure heart. It's no surprise that things like this would happen to her.

The momma ran towards us, stopping just a few feet behind her fawn. Waiting, hoping we wouldn't harm her baby. I know how she feels. Mom is so overprotective with us as well.

"Why is it always you? Where's the poppa, huh? You risk your life to protect your baby, and where is he? Huh? Where the hell is that coward?" I spoke silently, not thinking of my actions at the moment. My hands were in tight fists, making Sophie startled.

"Logan, are you ok?" Sophie brought me out of my trance as I starred at the doe, her fawn was still eyeing Sophie curiously. I gulped down hard and closed my eyes. "Umm, yeah. Sorry. It's just. . . not fair. The momma is always the one that comes out to protect their babies. The poppa is supposed to be the protector. He's stronger, more agile, and faster. Yet. . . . here she is, willing to risk it all just so her baby can eat a few fresh leaves. Is it fair? Is it fair that she and the baby risk getting hurt?"

"Probably not. But I know one thing for sure," she says as she kneels slowly. The fawn took a step forward and nudged Sophie's arm with her snout. Sophie pets her softly, running her hand across her fur making the momma startled.

"What is that?" I asked her, as I smiled seeing my girl slowly pet the fawn.

"You will be an excellent dad one day. I just know it. I see the way you are with Ashley. You have such a caring heart. You care for her and love her so much. I just know you'll be the same with your kids one day." She spoke softly as she stood on her feet.

The fawn pranced twice before turning and going back to her momma. They both vanished before our eyes back in the woods.

"You mean our kids. If I'll ever have kids, it will be with you, Soph." I said as I pulled her close and kissed her. She blushed and smiled hugging me tightly around my waist.

"Come on you two. We're ready to keep moving." The teacher came back to where we were. They had been taking pictures just yards away from us. None had paid attention to the fact a small fawn and its momma had just stood inches away from us. It was a moment worth remembering.

Sophie and I smiled. I kissed her forehead and took her hand as we walked towards the teacher.

"Our kids, huh?" Sophie asked making me chuckle. "Yup. Five too. I want five kids, if not more." I said making her chuckle.

"How about we graduate college first mister father of five or more kids?" She said making me chuckle.

"Sounds like a deal. I can wait for that." I answered, looking at her and winking an eye at her. Her face blushed to a bright rose, making her tilt her head towards the ground. I love the fact she still blushes for me. She's amazing. She makes this heartache a bit more baring than I could have handled on my own.

I know one thing for sure, if, and when I do have a baby with her, I'd make sure to put them first. ALWAYS.

💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨💞✨