I'll Always Be Here For You, No Matter What

Sophie

I had to be reasonable, I think I was madder at myself than I was at Logan and dad right now. How could I've been so stupid to have not noticed mom was sick? And with cancer, to make matters worst. I am such a bad daughter. I got so caught up with my own things that I haven't spent time like I used to with mom. I deserted her and left her on her own to deal with her battle when she needed me the most.

I slowly made my way back inside her room. She laid peacefully on that small hospital bed. The nurse wrote down her vitals and smiled at me when she saw me walk back inside.

"Hey, Sophie. I thought you were going to rest?" She asked politely, making me give her a wide smile in return.

"I changed my mind. I'm not really sleepy right now. I just want to stay here with her if that's ok?" I said as I made my way next to the nurse.

"OK, let me know if you need anything. I'll be right outside at the reception desk if you need anything." She said and smiled, placing the clipboard back into place and jotting down the time she had come in to check on mom. They had been coming in every two hours to check her vitals.

"Thank you, I'll let you know," I answered making her smile back, patting my shoulder as she walked past me, leaving me in the room with mom.

I glanced at mom in a daze. I still couldn't believe everything that was happening. My mind refused to believe that she was sick. She walked around normally and did all her chores without any complaints.

"How could I not notice you were suffering mom? Why didn't you tell me you were going through this? Why did you keep this from me?" I whispered to her as the nurse walked away.

Mom stirred in her sleep, her hair covering her face. I slowly walked towards her, pulled the chair next to her bed, and leaned down to remove her hair away from her face.

"I get it now. Why your hair felt less silky and shiny." I said as I moved it away and looked closely, realizing the small, barely noticeable fabric of the wig's band. It was such a thin sheer that you could barely tell it was there. It blended perfectly with her skin tone, giving it a natural look.

I slowly ran my hands through the hair strands, making her sigh.

"You are SO silly. Do you know that? How could you think that you had to fight this all alone? You're not alone in this mom. We stick together, remember? This family fights together, and especially, when it comes to you, Hailey McKenzie Patterson! You are not alone. Do you hear me? You have to fight this, you can't leave me too. I already lost grandma and Logan. You can't leave me as well. Please, momma. You have to fight this. " I implored with her, as the tears invaded my eyes, blinding me from seeing her pretty face.

"I need you, mom. Please, don't leave me."

"Sophie, it's ok. Everything will be ok. I promise." Logan's voice startled me, making me jump in place. I stood quickly on my feet, looking away from him.

"Sophie, I know you're mad at me for not telling you. You have all the right to be mad at me. But I just want you to know that I'm here for you. I will always be here for you, no matter what." He added, placing his hands on my shoulders from behind me.

"Even if things didn't work out between us, we can still try to be friends. I'm not going anywhere, I promise. I'll always be here for you and Hailey. I promise." he said as he pulled me back making my back crash softly against his back. the knot in my throat kept me from answering a word to him. This was a disaster, everything was wrong. Our relationship, my friendship with Troy, mom's cancer, everything. . . . everything was falling apart.