You Break, You Pay

Riley

"Da- Daniel, what are you doing here? I thought you and Layla were in Mexico doing business." I asked him making him turn with a smile towards me.

His hand softly grasped mine with a gentle squeeze.

"We were, but Ruth told me you were having a little issue with Charley-boy, so Layla and I came by to see what was going on. Luckily, I reached out and did my research on what's going on." He responded turning with a mischievous smile towards Charles whose face was red as a tomato.

"Daniel, no offense but your presence is unnecessary to this hearing. This is a matter between Riley and me."

"Oh, on the contrary." He cut Charles off, opened his suitcase, and brought out a stack of papers, and slammed them in front of Charles.

"You forget about this Charley-boy? Ashley, baby, Logan are waiting outside. Why don't go out and get some ice cream with him, ok honey?" He says pulling out his wallet and giving Ashley a hundred-dollar bill.

"Ok, uncle Danny." My baby gets up, taking the money and kissing her uncle on his cheek, giving him a tight bear hug.

Daniel pats her cheek and kisses the top of her head, making her smile.

Soon as Ashley is out of the room, Daniel turns angrily towards us. "What is wrong with you two? She should not have been in here, listening to all this crap." He scolds us both making me ponder. He's absolutely right. The trauma of this whole ordeal can be devastating to her.

I should have never allowed for her to be in here with us.

Hesitantly, Charles takes the papers and scans them. He gulps hard and blinks repeatedly pushing the papers past him, back to Daniel.

His lawyer colleague takes the papers and reads through them, her eyes widen in shock as she reads through the papers. Meanwhile, I sit there dumbfounded and my brother and Derreck whisper among themselves.

"What is this about Charles?" She asks as I repeat after her as well.

"It's nothing. Those documents are not binding anymore. I paid my dues and therefore should be none valid. I paid you back to the last penny Daniel."

"Did you? Hmm?" My brother taps his chin looking towards the heavens.

"Yes, I did. Besides, this has nothing to do with the custody for my daughter."

"On the contrary, this is why you should always read the fine print Charley-boy. You're a lawyer, you should know these things. Miss Carpenter, could you read paragraph 8, starting with line five, the second sentence."

She scans through it, finding the section Danny is asking her to read.

" Party B shall therefore be obligated to pay back every penny lent to by party A until all debt has been paid for to its fullness by said date listed above if Party B fails to comply, party B will have the obligation to notify the lender thirty days before the due date and ask for an extension or a hearing to work out following the termination procedures placed by party A." Daniel smiles as well as Charles.

"Again, I paid you back for the money you lent me. So this has nothing to do with what's going on h-"

"Miss Carpenter, if you please. Turn to page 34, the last chapter." Daniel adds cutting off Charles.

"Yes, sir." She responds. She turns to the page and clears her throat.

She looks towards Daniel hesitantly and then begins to read. "I, Charles Spencer, hereby agree that all written statements are true, and therefore agree to not only pay for the lent money under my name, but also agree to fulfill all duties as a husband to Riley Lilian Halloway. Promising to make her happy, provide a safe and respectful environment for her and our future children. Obligated to respect her, love her, and take care of her. If failed to do so, I am here obligated to give up all my rights as a husband, giving up my rights to all and any business with ties to Halloway enterprises, and will grant Riley Lilian Halloway with divorce papers, followed by monthly income to provide for any children that may have been born through their marriage until they are all if age. If found unfit to comply with obligations I, Charles Spencer will give my rights of custody to their mother until I submit to weeks of parenting counseling set by a judge and will submit to regulations and restrictions set by the said-so judge. Therefore,"