Chapter 5: Adjusting To Reality

It had been some time since the day Naofumi was branded as a rapist and became hated by everyone in the kingdom of Melromarc. Y/N was viewed the same as well, however things were a bit different for him. While there was no “evidence” of his crimes, Y/N was forbidden from stepping foot in a church do to the rumor of him using a woman of the cloth for sexual needs against her will. On top of that, king Aultcray deemed it necessary to bring Y/N in and make him pay for firing at the king. So far Y/N hadn't run into anyone foolish enough to do that, they either ignored him or ran away in fear.

This did make things a problem for Y/N,  hardly anyone in Melromarc would sell to him. Even the ring that the old man gave him didn't always work because the shop owners didn't want to get in trouble for selling to him. While it bothered Y/N, he didn't blame them, the king could do anything he wanted and get away with it. For now, Y/N was taking quests under the guise of a rogue hero with the help of the shadow scarf the old man gave him. Right now, Y/N was on a mission to clear a forest next to a small village of a large snake that was killing the local game, killing livestock and even stopping and killing in coming and out going traders.

Fujishima Forrest

Y/N POV:

This snake was causing these people too much trouble, it needed to go now before it started going all the way into the village and killing the villagers. From what the village elder told me the snake was large and had a bright green color. It also had scales that stuck out like spikes and were sharper then any blade. The villagers warned me of the Thorn Viper's venom, they said it it could not only poison a person or animal, it also had acidic properties as well. It worked like a venom, a poison and an acid all in one, making it a lethal and devastating combo.

I didn't know how strong the snake was, I was around level 20 and so far I still had my original revolver. I did however have new round types and a few new skills that could help me out. It wasn't going to be an easy fight but I had faith in myself. The Rogues guild was going to pay me a good price for bringing the head of the Thorn Snake in. Speaking of the Rogues guild, I followed the old man's advice and sought them out when I felt I was strong enough. They took me right in and made me one of them, they didn't care what the king said. They knew he was a crock of shit and when the opportunity arised, they'd kill him and overthrow him.

This was my first quest that they gave me, a lot was riding on this, there wasn't any room for failure. As I continued to walk through the woods, I felt the presence of being watched by something. The presence got strong to the point that I had to stop walking and stand still. I took out my revolver and looked around at the trees, eventually I stopped on one and fired a round. When the round hit the tree, it didn't actually hit the tree, it instead hit the Thorn Snake that was hiding with its camouflage. Its green blood seeped out from the wound and its almost invisible  camouflage vanished.

The snake was as large as the villagers said it was the spike like scales went all the way down its body and its fangs could be seen out of its closed mouth. The green was bright and its emerald eyes locked their gaze directly on me.