Chapter 7: Beast Of The Bog

Outside Letum Bog

No POV:

Y/N was going to help the town
Vita by clearing out a monster from the nearby Letum bog. From what the villagers described to Y/N, a creature that looked like it was made from the bog itself was releasing toxic gasses that was killing the nearby crop and wildlife. Of course there would be a reward given to Y/N when he finished this job. While the reward was good, Y/N wasn't going to let some monster mess with peoples lives. Apparently the village had sent a message to the king to help them but when they couldn't pay, he declined any aid.

That was another incentive for Y/N to complete this job, if the king wouldn't help them, then he would and he'd do it without getting paid. This wasn't a job from the guild, this was Y/N going out of his way to help people in need. He was doing what a hero was supposed to do. From what Y/N had heard, Ren, Itsuki and especially Motoyasu weren't exactly acting like a hero was supposed to.

Y/N POV:

The description the villagers gave me of this monster wasn't exactly clear, some said it looked like a man, some said it looked like it was made from the bog itself. Either way it was causing them problems and it needed to be dealt with quickly before it completely poisoned the lands. Right before me was the entrance to the bog, the first thing I noticed was the smell it. It hit me worse then that truck did that day, no wonder this bog's name meant death. With that, I held my breath and entered the Letum bog

Time Skip

Letum Bog

Walking through the bog, I was alert, every sound got my attention, I had no plans on being taken by surprise or caught off guard by something hiding. For now I had found a solid path to take through the bog, I knew that if I stepped off this path I could fall into a patch of quick sand or end up in the mud next to a predator of some sort. As I continued to walk and look for the creature, this place began to remind me of scenes from movies that I saw when I was young. Out of nowhere, a large rat like creature ran past my path and accidentally fell into the bog.

Right away, the rat jumped out and an awful smell hit me right in the nostrils. I pinched my nose and tried to get the smell to go away from me.

"Smell bad, really bad" I said as I got away from the smell

The deeper I got into the bog the more I stared to see how this bog would change. At one point, the methane coming up would get hot and flames would shoot up.

"Great, now there's fire here" I said

Eventually I found a place to sit down and take a quick brake from walking, I hadn't found the creature and I felt like I wouldn't be finding it one go. So I found a good spot near a large mass coming up out of the bog. Trees and other types of growth were coming off this rock like formation. I was glad to see that there was some form of life in this bog besides all the nasty stuff I had seen so far. I couldn't relax for long when the sound of bubbling in the water nearby caught my attention.

I got up from the stump I was sitting on and aimed my revolver at the water, waiting to see what would come out of it

"Letting you know now, I'm not one for surprises, just ask my sister, she'd tell you all about it" I said clicking the hammer back

Just then a large figure began to slowly rise up from the waters, it looked like a human mixed with plants, fungus and a  tree. It had pointed legs and multiple eyes, with what looked like a beard made of moss. In its hands was a maskshift staff of some sort made from the roots of a tree.