four | SCARRED SKIN

DUSK.
act one, chapter four | scarred skin
SUMMARY; derek finally sees the scars on haven's body

"i hate looking at them because it's just a reminder of what happened to me. of what you and i also lost."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

THE EARLY MORNING RAYS OF THE SUNLIGHT SHINED SOFTLY THROUGH THE LARGE WINDOW PANES. Derek's light green eyes slowly adjusted to the soft morning sunlight before he turned his head to see Haven still fast asleep beside him. His eyes twinkled as he watched her, admiring her beauty and how endearing she looked under the golden sunlight. He let his eyes wander her face, lingering a few seconds on her pale pink lips that were parted slightly.

He used his hand to gently caress her hair before resting his touch on her warm cheek. In this moment, everything seemed completely normal to him. He couldn't exactly remember the last time he felt this at peace with her, especially when waking up beside her. It eased him to know things between them were beginning to fall back into place. He was glad they were both willing to fight for their relationship, working on their issues which nearly tore them apart just two months ago.

There was still a lot of work they both needed to do on themselves as well. He had to really work on forgiving himself for many things, even though some were not his fault. The fire and Paige being ones that certainly were not his fault. It still felt like it was which didn't necessarily help. But he did need to forgive himself for constantly pushing her when she didn't want to be open. He needed to forgive himself for all the times he flipped out on her for times she forgot to communicate with him. He wasn't going to stop being protective of her. Ever. But he had to forgive himself for pushing it to the point he fell into anger which resulted in him taking it out on her. This was something he would regret for a long time. If she was willing to forgive him, then he could forgive himself for what he did. Just like how he forgave her.

With Haven, there was quite a bit of stuff she needed to work on. Most of it didn't have anything to do with Derek, although it seemed to affect her greatly. Majority were thing that happened to her throughout the system. From being physically, verbally, and mentally abused. From being thrown into the harsh place of juvie. She never knew what it was like to be in control of her own life, to have her own freedom. Because from having none of that to having the control and freedom suddenly, she had no idea what to do with it. This was all completely foreign to her. She needed to learn nothing was out of her control anymore. She was finally adopted, she had a family. Being here, this was permanent.

But she also needed to deal with the never ending guilt from the pain she caused Derek. She was so hell bent on destroying his pack out of rage because Gerard brainwashed her, she wanted to hurt Derek. She couldn't even believe he would even forgive her for what she done. Though deep down, Derek understood what it was like to seek revenge against those who took away family. He understood why she felt the need to do what she done. And as much as he wished she was told the truth about who really killed her mom from the beginning, there was nothing he could do. Only be by her side as they worked on healing themselves, and reminding her there was nothing for her to feel guilty about. He couldn't stand to see her in any pain at all. It killed him to see her in pain. He was desperate to work on their issues, to heal from the trauma, and move forward with her.