odds on

[CHAPTER ONE]

[CHAPTER ONE]

[THE ONE WHERE THE BOY HITS AND RUNS]

Atlas Grey sat lazily in his seat at the rear of the Ark's poor excuse of a classroom. The fifteen year old lounged with his legs upon the table in front of him with a hand over his mouth as he sniggered with his friends. His long, blonde, unkept locks fell over his wide brown eyes - they were curious eyes, filled with wonder. He clothes did not fit him quite right, in fact every item he wore was not his. Stolen from neighbours or hand-me downs from his deceased father. The Grey family was never fortunate enough to own clothes that were new, vibrantly coloured or even properly put together, poorly sewn wholes dotted his attire, his socks could be seen poking out of the edge of his shoes, and his pants hung off his hips - having been two sizes too large. 

Atlas never knew his father, he died before he was born. Theodore Grey was his name, and according to Atlas he was the greatest man in the world. He grew rather sick, his mother told him it was some kind of flu, and they couldn't afford the proper medicine to help him. Atlas believes with his whole heart that his Theodore was still around, things would be much better. 

His mother, Slyvie Grey - was a different story entirely. She neglected Atlas from the moment he was born, in fact he's surprised many people by survivng this long. She hated Theodore, mostly because he gave her a child and left before he could help to raise it. Atlas was just a reminder of her husband - she could barely stand the sight of him.

It is cruel to say that Atlas felt a relief when his mother eventually passed away, but it was true. She was one less thing for Atlas to worry about, and although he despised her for leaving him like his father, she would not be missed. The home that he grew up in was quickly given to somebody else and he was sent to live in a small place along with all of the other orphaned children on the Ark. 

To the boys right sat his best friend, and partner in crime; John Murphy, an older boy who took an immediate liking to Atlas - enjoying his recklessness and hedonism. The duo met recently, after the younger boys mother passed, and had been practically inseparable every since, knowing that they understood one another and never having to say a thing... 

Then, to Atlas' left sat another boy - the same age and much more empathetic and friendly than his friends, Nathan Miller. His father was a guard, so it came naturally to take care of, and to look out for his friends. He was quite popular on the Ark, less threatening than John Murphy and less... complicated, than Atlas. Nate balanced them out, kept them in check- but of course he still knew how to have his fun.

The three did not know much about one another at all. In fact, outside of classes - Nate and Atlas barely even spoke. However the Grey and the Murphy boy were commonly spotted running around the empty halls of the Ark, they may not have been the best of influences on one another but they were family.