murphy's law

[CHAPTER TWELVE]

[CHAPTER TWELVE]

the hanging tree

Wells Jaha was dead. Killed just outside of the walls that surrounded their camp. The 100 were on edge, despite being told that the boy got unlucky and was shanked by a grounder, people liked to talk. Atlas received wary glances when he'd walk by, a lot of the teenagers believing it was in fact the Grey boy who had killed Wells. 

It made his stomach swirl, the fact that a lot of these kids believed he was capable of murder. Sure, he got in his fair share of tussles and had outwardly threatened Jaha Jr but he'd never kill him. 

He and Murphy still hadn't spoken since the night he had tried to kill Jasper. It seemed the brunette boy was on a power high, bossing kids around tirelessly to finish building the wall. Atlas kept his head down, he helped with the construction - an excuse to keep busy and blend in.  

He sat on the ground, fiddling with the wires they had been using as a makeshift rope. He'd been tangling the copper around some materials, tying them together. He found his gaze frequently flicking up to Murphy, his jaw clenched as he watched his friend dictate the work of the teens despite standing around and not contributing. He was stood besides Bellamy with his arms crossed over his chest, overseeing the bustling teenagers as they spoke quietly. The blonde watched intently, there was obvious tension though neither of them seemed to want to settle it. 

"Hey! You think the Grounders are just gonna sit around, and wait for us to finish the wall? Maybe we should let the little girl do the lifting for you, huh?" Atlas perked up, standing to his feet at his friends outburst. A boy had fallen to the ground, obviously exhausted and dehydrated. They argued back and forth for a moment, and Atlas decided perhaps he should finally speak to his friend - this facade was pissing him off. 

"Murphy!" He announced, walking over to the two teen boys, startling them both. "C'mon, the guy just wants some water." 

Murphy seemed taken aback. Not only had Atlas finally decided to speak to him after 2 days of nothing, but the first words he said to him were to defend the boy on the ground. 

"So he finally speaks." Murphy growled, completely ignoring Connor who had now risen from the ground and brushed off the dirt on his pants. 

"If you're still mad about Jasper I-"

"I don't need your excuses." Murphy was pissed. Atlas looked around at the teens who watched on as the duo conversed. He was embarrassed and agitated, he didn't enjoy this negative attention.  "You were gonna kill an innocent kid, did you really expect me to just let you?" 

"I expect you to have my back." It astounded Atlas, to hear Murphy be so betrayed by the fact that he wasn't allowed to kill Jasper. He was sure that by now Murphy would have simmered down and realised he was acting irrationally, but it seemed he wasn't going down without a fight. "Are you serious?" If Atlas was one thing, it was loyal - he always had Murphy's back, through better and worse. "Nobody has your back like I do. You're my brother alright, so forgive me if I've gotta draw the line at murder."