the ark

[CHAPTER 10]

[CHAPTER 10]

[a blast from the past]

Atlas Grey never knew his father, he had died when the boy was only young and was never spoken about in his home. He never really knew his mother either, despite her being home every day, he had no idea who the woman was. He knew he looked like the late Theodore Grey, or at least acted like him - this was obvious by the was Sylvia treated him. Often calling him 'Theo' in her drunken state, and claiming she hated the mere sight of him. 

"Boy, come here." The then fourteen year old Atlas Grey, with his head hung low took a few steps so that he stood in front of his mother. "Look at me when I talk to you, goddamnit." Taking a rough hand she grabbed his chin, forcing his head upwards. His bright blue eyes shone, but not in the way every other child's did, there was no hope or happiness behind them, just the natural hue he was born with. He did not share his mothers eyes, nor his fathers - not that he was aware of this. "I need you to get something for me. I've got a friend in mecha station, Nygel, she's expecting you." Staying quiet, he nodded at his mother who distractedly handed him a crumpled up piece of paper with directions on how to find this Nygel character. "She's expecting you now." Her tone was more pointed and threatening, which made Atlas move quickly, he hadn't even bothered to put on a pair of shoes before racing out the door. 

It was common for Atlas to do his mothers dirty work, given that the woman never left their small abode. She was always too drunk to stand and would be arrested and floated the minute she steppe outside. 

Atlas and his mother lived in factory station, which was only a short walk to mecha - and despite walking around the ark many times, the boy still managed to get lost. He followed the directions on the paper, scribbled out by his mother carefully, turning each corner specifically when instructed, taking the right amount of steps down each hall. He had entered what seemed to be mecha-station's common area, it wasn't very busy. A couple of kids sat at tables conversing or reading, and tucked away in the corner was an older woman and man playing a game of chess. 

The young boy shoved the paper into his pocket and walked over the the two, playing with his fingers nervously. He cleared his throat, gaining the attention of the two adults who looked at him curiously. "Uh, I'm looking for someone named Nygel." His voice was quiet and shaky, he didn't talk to a lot of people. It was rare that he ever had full conversations outside of jobs he would do for his mother, so he always struggled with this part. "Well aren't you a cute little thing." The woman smirked at the young blonde. She gave her friend a look and nodded her head. The man stood up and placed himself with his back against the wall, watching the woman and the boy carefully. "I'm Nygel, why don't you go ahead and take a seat." 

For a moment Atlas hesitated, he looked and Nygel and to the tall man who watched on. He thought it would probably cause more problems to decline, so he complied and sat in the chair opposite the woman. "Do you play?" She asked, signalling to the game that now sat between them. "No. I don't know how."  She smiled, though Atlas knew it was not warm or nurturing. That was the smile his mother would give him. "Maybe I can teach you sometime. But for now, what can I do for you?" The child rubbed his sweaty palms across his ripped jeans. "My mom sent me. Sylvie Grey."