Chapter 4

TERPSICHORE'S FIRE 

4. PARTY TIME 

I'm in the mood for dancin', romancin' 

Ooh I'm givin' it all tonight 

I'm in the mood for chancin' 

I feel like dancin' 

Ooh so come on and hold me tight 

Dancin' (dancin') 

I'm in the mood, babe 

So let the music play 

Ooh I'm dancin' (dancin') 

I'm in the groove, babe 

So get on up and let your body sway 

Ooh I'm in the mood for dancin', romancin' 

You know I shan't ever stop tonight 

I'm in the mood for chancin' 

I feel like dancin' 

Ooh from head to my toes 

Take me again 

And heaven who knows 

Just where it will end 

So dance, yeah let's dance, come on and dance 

Dance, yeah let's dance, come on and dance 

The Nolan Sisters 

Here is the news. Another action packed adventure. For sweltering hot July and August of '84. In England, York Minster was set ablaze by a freak bolt of lightning, and seven hundred years of history went up in smoke. Although the building was supposedly fully protected against lightning, and had a number of fire detectors, the sheer speed of the spread of the flames defeated the fire services. Most of the cathedral's treasures were saved from the fire by relays of clergy who risked the flames and showers of molten lead to save priceless artefacts. As experts assessed the cost of the damage at more than one million pounds, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Robert Runcie, said it was 'a miracle' that the fire had destroyed only the south transept, and that the world-famous Rose Window had survived. Like most church buildings, the Minster is fully insured, and repairs are estimated to take at least two years to complete. The government has promised cash and a public donation fund has also been set up. As usual some cynics suggested that this 'Act of God' might be a punishment for some sin or other, although precisely what they refused to speculate. 

At a McDonald's hamburger restaurant in San Diego, California, a lone gunman slaughtered twenty people and seriously injured sixteen others. Before being felled by a police marksman he shouted; "I don't like Mondays!" The lunatic gunman was later identified as one Oliver Huberty, aged 41, married with two children. It is thought that he had a grudge against the local community after being sacked from his job as a security guard. Oliver Huberty now holds the grisly record of having perpetrated the largest massacre by a single gunman, in one day, in America. One kinda feels lucky to live in England. 

The renowned novelist and playwright J. B. Priestley has died at his home near Stratford-on-Avon, just a few days before his ninetieth birthday. Actors Richard Burton and James Mason have also passed away. Many celebrities and writers around the world paid tribute. 

In Manila, capital of the Philippines, over 900,000 people have marched in protest against what they see as the corrupt, US sponsored, government of President Marcos. "Down with dictators!" They shouted. Mrs. Corazon Aquino, the widow of the opposition leader, who was assassinated last year, led the protest march. Although some two thousand troops had to turn out to keep order, the speeches and demonstrations were mainly peaceful.