Epilogue

TERPSICHORE'S FIRE 

EPILOGUE 

Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away 

Now it looks as though they're here to stay 

Oh, I believe in yesterday 

Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be 

There's a shadow hanging over me 

Oh, yesterday came suddenly 

Why she had to go I don't know 

She wouldn't say 

I said something wrong now I long for yesterday 

Yesterday love was such an easy game to play 

Now I need a place to hide away 

Oh, I believe in yesterday 

John Lennon and Paul McCartney of the Beatles 

Into my heart an air that kills 

From yon far country blows 

What are those blue remembered hills? 

What spires, which farms are those? 

That is the land of lost content 

I see it shining plain 

The happy highways where I went 

And cannot come again 

From "A Shropshire Lad" by Alfred Edward Housman 

The night had fallen, and I have reached the end of my story. It was a long dark deep night brought on by a feeling of total emptiness with cold bleak winds of desolation blowing through my soul. No greater disappointment have I ever felt in my life, neither before nor since. I feel so sad when I think about what could have been; the life I had, the life I wanted, the life I lost. Whether I liked it or not, it was the end of an era, the world moved on and forgot about Nikki Vince. A generation of teenagers and twenty-somethings have long since grown old and most probably forgotten what they saw, what they were witness to, and what once awed them; a dancing prodigy like no other. But I never have. I know I never will. With the passage of time the years have turned to decades and the decades into a new century, and she exists now only as a memory in my mind. But I wish to make it known that there really was a real life Dancing Queen once, long ago and in a different time and place. The memory of her lingers on in my heart like a glowing ember in a fire that just won't quite go out. She remains my Shangri-La, my Camelot, my Eldorado, my Blue Remembered Hills, my lost city of Atlantis, but most of all; my Paradise Lost. 

Could such a thing ever happen again? It seems very unlikely. Was it all just a fluke? Or was it providence? If so, then what was its' purpose and meaning? It is said that everyone has their day, their once-in-a-lifetime experience, so I guess that this was mine. When I get to heaven this obsession is the first matter I intend to raise with the Man upstairs; and I intend to tell Him that there is still some place, some part of a distant dance floor somewhere that is forever ours.