Chapter 6

TERPSICHORE'S FIRE 

6. THE SCARLET SUIT 

You put the boom-boom into my heart 

You send my soul sky high when your lovin' starts 

Jitterbug into my brain 

Goes a bang-bang-bang 'til my feet do the same 

But something's bugging you 

Something ain't right 

My best friend told me what you did last night 

Left me sleepin' in my bed 

I was dreaming, but I should have been with you instead. 

Wake me up before you go-go 

Don't leave me hanging on like a yo-yo 

Wake me up before you go-go 

I don't want to miss it when you hit that high 

Wake me up before you go-go 

'Cause I'm not plannin' on going solo 

Wake me up before you go-go 

Take me dancing tonight 

I wanna hit that high (yeah, yeah) 

You take the grey skies out of my way 

You make the sun shine brighter than Doris Day 

Turned a bright spark into a flame 

My beats per minute never been the same 

'Cause you're my lady, I'm your fool 

It makes me crazy when you act so cruel 

Come on, baby, let's not fight 

We'll go dancing, everything will be all right 

Wake me up before you go-go.......... 

Wham 

The month of September saw the birth of The Prince and Princess of Wales' second son, named Henry, but better known to us all as little Prince Harry. He would be second in line to the throne after his elder brother Prince William. 

The new space shuttle Discovery returned to Earth after a highly successful six-day maiden flight. The first shuttle was built back in the seventies, and was named Enterprise, after the famous starship featured in the Star Trek TV and movie science fiction series. Enterprise was transported piggy-back, and occasionally launched from the back of a Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet. It was merely a giant unpowered glider, used to test the shuttle designs' air-worthiness. Next came Columbia, which was the first to successfully fly into space three years' earlier. Third came Challenger, from which the first un-tethered space-walk was made in 1984. Discovery therefore brings NASA's shuttle fleet up to four. 

In a new deal struck between the United Kingdom and China, sovereignty over Hong Kong will revert to China in 1997. But the colony will be allowed to keep its free enterprise system for at least fifty years after that. These were the key elements of an agreement initialled in Beijing about the future of the territory when the British lease runs out. It marked the end of two years of hard negotiation and it was hailed in Whitehall as a triumph. Sir Geoffrey Howe, the Foreign Secretary, assured all MP's in the House of Commons that: "The colony's future is safe and assured." About 20,000 Hong Kong Chinese have a right to settle in Britain, but the Foreign Office played down the prospect of a mass exodus to this country. The emphasis at the moment was on making the agreement work, however surprising the nature of it.