1. I Don't Owe Him Respect

Tanya

In front of what is (arguably) the second most famous non-religious building in the world, I smile. Many people dream of being here. Very few get as far as I have.

  On top of that I had zero political experience when I decided to run for New York's 14th district. My opponent? The Incumbent with six years of experience.

  I won because everybody, regardless of party, agreed on one thing: Fred Rogers started giving off bad vibes about halfway through his last term, during our campaigns. He became racist and even a little homophobic. The last one was subtle comments here and there, but he completely changed his narrative on race. In his own words:

  "Racism doesn't exist in America anymore."

  As you can imagine, I fucking destroyed him at that debate.

  My win was a historic one on so many levels. I was the first woman to take my district in Twenty election cycles, and the first single mom ever. Beside me, my daughter stares at what will become my workplace in less than a few hours, taking everything in her own way. She was my biggest supporter during the campaign- insisting on introducing me at a few events and rallies.

  "You sure you're ready for this?" She asks, side eyeing me.

  "Absolutely not." I sigh.

  Running was the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life- but something tells me this'll be even harder. Representing over a million people..... you're bound to make mistakes or do something they don't agree with. At the end of the day all you can do is try.

  Like the other members and soon-to-be members of Congress, we ascend the steps, followed by countless cameras along the way. Inside, things are more calm- with reporters and camera-people being focused on the inauguration stage on the opposite side of the building.

  The rotunda is currently crowded with representatives and their staff, so I look around to find mind- and they're crowded near one of the statues of some racist early president whose name I can't remember.

Melissa was my campaign manager- and she was so fucking good at it that giving her a job felt obligatory(in the good way). I ended up asking her to be my communications director.

Walter, my press Secretary, is fresh out of college- but the way he conducted himself during his interview made it clear that he would be the best choice for the job.

Carlos has the most experience out of my three top staff. He was the chief of staff for the department of defense for thirteen years, so in other words he's seen some shit. He resigned because he disagreed with President Lowe's Defense Director nomination for his second term on a lot of key issues- ones that couldn't be pushed aside or ignored. He's gotten seventy two offers, but chose mine at the end of the day, because he said we agreed on the most and he didn't want another situation like with the president.

I hug Walter first, then him, then Melissa.

"Are you going to be at the-"

I notice that the room has gone silent, so I do too. When I turn around my heart drops into my stomach and out of my ass.

"Oh please that's not necessary, go back to whatever you were doing." He says, one of the most iconic and annoying women of all time standing beside him.

Hesitantly, they turn back to their own conversations. Walter and Melissa, like deer in the headlights, do not. Carlos and my daughter smile, not intimated in the slightest.

"Tanya Clark, is it?" He asks.

"Yes, Mr. President. It is an honor." I smirk. We both love playing this little game.

"Oh, it is an honor for me to meet you."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"We've read so much about you." The woman continues.

"I..... thank you, Madam Vice President. What.... I'm sorry I really don't mean to be rude but is there something you need?"

She nods. I turn to Carlos again.

"Will you be at the inauguration?"

"Nah-" he shakes his head. "We have some things to do in the office but.... we'll be watching on tv."

I mumble an "okay." Congressional staff are arguably more stressed out than representatives themselves. The last thing I wanna do is pile more shit on top of them by expecting them to watch in person.

I feel the Vice President's hand on my arm, pulling me aside. "Well?" I ask.

"We've been talking and we'd like you to join the cabinet."

"I have zero experience in higher government, Mr.President." I cross my arms, glancing over my shoulder at the people too absorbed in their own conversations to hear what I'm about to say. "You don't want me in Congress."

  "That's not what I said at all-"

  "You're right, Mr.President. But it is clear how fucking terrified you are of powerful women."

  "I wouldn't have chosen a female as my Vice President if-"

  "No offense Madam Vice President-" I turn back to Lowe. "But she is nothing more than a lapdog and you know it. Just out of curiosity- what cabinet position would I be taking?"

  "Uhm...."

  "Yeah, that's what I thought." I narrow my eyes. "You're trying to get me to resign from congress before I'm even in it so I don't have the opportunity to put bills on the floor that jeopardize your agenda."

  "The Democratic Party needs to be united right now." His cheeks flush in anger. "You should know that better than anybody-"

  "Because I'm a woman? Or because I beat a white supremacist?"

  "I wouldn't go that far. Congressman Rogers definitely said some fucked up things but I don't think he was a supremacist-"

  "Respectfully, Mr.President- fuck off."

"You can't talk to me like that-"

  "I just did. If you'll excuse me...." I mumble, ignoring whatever bullshit is coming out of his mouth as I go back to the statue.

  My daughter stands beside it, the staff nowhere to be found.

  "They left to get a head start on work." She shrugs. "What was that about?"

  "Nothing important." I say. "Come on, let's go find our seats."