50. What A Fucking Hypocrite

Tanya
Seventeen Years and eleven months ago

I stare at the test in my hands with wide eyes- and the other twenty on the floor. All of them positive. I have to force myself to acknowledge the reality: I am pregnant. I can't just ignore this and hope it goes away. I have to find the closest abortion clinic- and soon.

—-

It happens all at once. Darrel and I look to each other after both recounting that night with wide eyes- realization slamming into us like a truck. For a few minutes nobody moves- Walter because he's trying to think, and us because we're in shock.

  "Should I... call the therapist?" Is the first thing Walter says.

  "No." Darrel and I reply at the same time.

  "Okay then..." Walter goes into press Secretary mode. "We need to stay on top of this in case Meg tries to sell the story to another network early for... what I'm sure would be an exorbitant amount of cash."

  "We could pay her-" Darrel snaps his fingers. "Offer her a million dollars more than what she'd be making from the story to stay quiet."

  "You're talking about hush money-ing her?" Walter asks.

"Precisely-"

  "No. We're not giving that bitch shit." I interrupt. "I have an idea but I'm gonna need both of you to trust me."

  "Why wouldn't we?"

  "Because there are so many ways it could go wrong but... if it works she'll never utter either of our names again."

    "Then it's worth it."  Darrel replies. "What are you doing?"

  I put a finger to my lips- effectively shushing them both as I pull my phone out. Time to make some calls.

  For the first, it rings only twice.

  "Hello?" The groggy voice of the woman I've gotten way too close to this past year says.

  "Lynn- I'm gonna be having a guest in the residence tomorrow."

  "Can I ask... why? And why you couldn't wait until morning to tell me?"

  "It's a private matter." I hang up, already dialing the second.

  "Jeremy- I need you to do something for me."

—-

I fumble with the flash drive in my hands, unsettled by what I asked him to do. Maybe Melissa was right.

"I've seen it happen before. You all turn into politicians whether you want to or not."

The pardon I promised him if he got caught( which wouldn't happen, he's Jeremy for fucks sake) eased his mind, but it did not ease mine. Earlier, an envelope from FBI quarters arrived- a falsified "CLASSIFIED" stamp so the mailroom wouldn't peek inside plastered on the front. They simply scanned it for explosives and poisons and sent it up. I've kept it in my pocket all day, trying to keep whatever nerves I had when I made those calls.

I take a deep breathe. Just minutes from now Meg Haines will be here- and if I want to leave her with her mouth hanging open I can't appear nervous. I do my best to focus on my facial expressions and make them more serious to match her energy.

"Tanya-" Lynn says, standing a few feet behind the couch, causing me to jump. "Sorry. Ms. Haines has just gotten through security."

"Send her up." I say. Lynn types something, and a few minutes later- I hear the faint sound of the elevator coming up.

"Madam President- I assume you have that statement ready?" Oh you have no idea who you're messing with motherfuck-

"Sit down, Ms.Haines." I say, gritting my teeth. "Lynn you can leave us."

"Respectfully, Tanya I don't think I'm supposed to-" When I turn around and give her the look, she shuts up. "I'll be on the balcony. Scream if you need me."

And then the bitch has the audacity to speak.

"Your head of security calls you Tanya? You don't find that disrespectful?"

"Nope." I shrug. "You will address me as Madam President."

"Okay... so about that statement?"

I simply smirk and slam the flash drive down on my coffee table. She just seems confused. I laugh at how stupid a person who seems so smart is.

"What am I looking at?" She asks.

"Six years ago-" I begin. "During the last few months of President Stays's term- you two got suspiciously close."

She gulps.

"To answer your question- this is a security cam video of you going into his hotel room. And the room's guest records for that day."

"S- So what?" She stutters. "It's not uncommon for reporters to talk to politicians alone. Some of them... feel more comfortable if we're the only ones in the room."

"Are you forgetting what my job has been the last year?" I roll my eyes. "What you will also find on this flash drive is an audio recording."

For the first time, horror passes through her eyes. She quickly controls it- trying to remain stoic.

   I remember the first time I played it- in my office alone, and how quickly I knew I had her. If the video wasn't enough( it was) this could fucking destroy her.

  "Shut up and get on your knees already."

  "Yes, Mr. President." As the recording went on, it somehow got worse. Not once did she protest or show any indication she didn't want to be there.

  "Now-" I sit back. "It is kind of impossible to destroy a dead man's reputation but you are fair game."

She remains silent.

  "It would be a real shame if you were labeled a hypocrite and lost your prime time show."  I pick at my nails. "I mean I would really miss watching you lecture members of the Republican Party stupid enough to agree to an interview with you- because as much as I hate to admit it you are entertaining."

  "What... what do you want ?" She gives in. "I can't lose that show. It made my net worth... what it is today."

  "I want you to keep your damn mouth shut."

  "Done. Anything else?" She sighs, backed into a corner.

  "Yeah-" I slide the flash drive to her. "Keep it. So you can look through everything and understand I am not lying when I say I am not afraid to end you."

  "Madam President..."

  "You may go."

  She hesitantly takes the device, stands up, and starts heading for the elevator.

  "Oh- Meg wait a second!" I call out.

  "What?"

  "I made over a dozen copies. Don't bother with destroying that one."