3. Debate

Tanya
8 months ago

"Yeah, there has to be a good ten thousand people here." Melissa says, on the phone with her mom. "I don't know the exact count but... hold on I gotta go."

I peek through the curtains of what is normally a concession stand. For the first time ever, the city had to rent out a sports stadium for a congressional debate- in part because people have traveled from across the country to see it. My run, with the exception of the president's own- is the highest profile one in this election cycle.

And the craziest part? I am a complete outsider. I guess having connections because of your rich, dead parents really does pay off. People that own advertising companies, campaigning services( that's how I hired Melissa- at twenty five she's already won two campaigns for the mayor and a city councilman), and people who were willing to donate big money just because they knew them and watched me grow up.

I'll add that to the list of things the public doesn't need to know about me.

Outside, the temperatures are fast approaching below freezing- but this stadium was the only one in the city that could fit everybody who rsvp'd without being a hazard. I tug at my scarf, wrapping it so tight around my neck no air can penetrate it. In my pockets, I have two radial warmers- a relatively new technology that's meant to be a one-person heater.

Most people in that crowd do not have the money or luxuries I do. For that I do feel bad, and I try to donate as much money as I can, but sometimes it feels like my parents were so rich, my efforts are useless. The second the money leaves my account, it comes back in the form of interest.

But today is not about me. Today is about them, and I need to make them feel like so if I want a shot at winning- because right now congressman Rogers and I are neck and neck. I did meet with a guy my parents knew yesterday (a statistics expert) who said if we just continued on our current trajectory, a win was inevitable.

Stick to the talking points, I tell myself now.

"Tanya-" I feel Melissa's hand on my shoulder and jump. "We have ten minutes left. You wanna do some final prep?"

My mind wanders back to the ten hours she forced me to endure yesterday and I shudder.

"Nope. No thank you."

"If you think yesterday was bad it is nothing compared to the real thing."

"I know but-"

"Good. Then start fucking acting like it."

"Melissa you talked about my daughter-"

"You don't know congressman Rogers as well as I do. He would absolutely go there. I am trying to prepare you so you do not go out there and embarrass yourself in front of the entire country."

"That's just politics." I sigh, holding onto my stubbornness. "There's no avoiding embarrassment."

"Respectfully- Ms.Clark, how would you know?"

"I may be new to this-" I gesture to the window. "But I am not completely new. There are some things I have to learn, and there are some things I already know. So you do whatever you want- but I am spending my nine minutes and fourteen seconds relaxing so I don't have panic attack when I get thrown into the pit."

I lean against the curtained windowsill and close my eyes. Images of how it could go rush through my head. I could pull thirty points ahead- or he could. I could leave with five thousand more supporters- or he could, and there are so many factors going into it.