Oscar's Goodbye

The break proceeds as usual with snacks, conversations, and breaking up an occasional squabble. This time, it's Summer against Roman and Neo. After the short fiasco, the audience returned to their seats. The villain side stayed quiet and avoid eye contact with Summer who is glaring at them for a while now.

The room darkens once again as the screen plays another video.

The first image shown is a lone tree standing in the middle of a barren landscape.

Oscar's eyes widen as he realized what's about to happen.

Oscar appears, wearing armor while holding a torch. His face is stern as he looks at the tree.

"Hey look it's Oscar's turn now." Ruby pointed at the screen. "But what's he doing near the tree?"

A flashback shows a distressed Oscar trying to plead to a faceless audience. After a few seconds, the scene returns to an enraged Oscar.

"So, I guess this why he snapped," Qrow said as he took a sip from his flask. "Because no one listened to him."

Winter crossed her arm after hearing Qrow. "This is what happens if you let someone like Torchwick lead you around."

"I heard that!"

Oscar raised the torch in the air and threw it on the tree. As the torch falls down, Oscar performed a salute. The image quickly changed from Yang to Oscar to Coco and back to Oscar as he muttered the words:

"It was never meant to be."

The theater stays silent as they watched the final nail that seals W'manberg's fate.

"Bye W'manberg," Oscar continued to salute as he watched the tree burn to ashes.

Nora began to salute as well, catching her team off guard by the action.

The next scene shows Oscar as he raised the new flag. "You were a true friend."

It slowly transitions to the image of a flag pole fluttering in the wind. "You were a home." It didn't take long before it shows the image of the destroyed flag afterward.

Everyone feels sorry for the efforts the boy has shown.

The next image shows the population of W'manberg sitting under the tree happily. "And you were everything we had."

Ruby couldn't help shed a tear at the scene showing everyone happily together.

"Those were the good old times," Yang said as if she is reminiscing a memory from a long time ago.

It returns to the tree burning down as Oscar continues to say his piece while saluting. "And now the last thing. The last thing that kept us from freedom.

"The last thing that kept them from freedom?" Oscar muttered in confusion.

"How ironic," Salem remarked. "To be confined by the same ideology you fought so hard. In the end, it will shackle you down."

Blake's mind quickly went to Adam as soon as she heard those words. As detestable as the Queen of Grimm is, she couldn't help to agree seeing how her partner gets consumed by the same hate he tried to fight.

Oscar began wiping his tears. "It's gone."

Meanwhile, Oscar looked down. Carefully thinking about his part in the never-ending war he will be thrust in.

Ghang is shown wandering around the ruins. Meanwhile, an injured Ruby is being supported by Wiess.

"Wait she survived? How!" Roman asked in exasperation.

"Why not?" Nora replied smugly to him.

"Because of the monsters and that grid. Do I need to elaborate?"

"Oh..."

Blake is shown cheering at the destruction while Roman shouted, "It's gone. It's gone."

"It's so weird for Torchwick to care about anything other than money," Emerald remarked.

"To be fair it is green," Mercury joked before laughing.

Meanwhile, Blake still couldn't believe how she just laughs at her friends suffering.

"I'm sure it will work out," Yang reassures her partner with conviction in her eyes. "Just like uncle Qrow, said we'll work it out."

Blake just nodded at her. Hopefully, there will be fewer explosions when that happened.

Penny clutched the book close to her while saying, "I don't want to remember this."

Penny just looked down in guilt as she remembers her association with the attack.

She suddenly noticed the hand of Pietro on her shoulders. Penny smiled at the gesture of her father and continued watching.

"It's beyond being repaired," Oscar said as he looked at the burning tree. Taking a deep breath Oscar says his final words, "Goodbye W'manberg."

As the screen darkens, the adults noticed the students saluting for a while.

"Mr. Qrow?" Amber asked the huntsman near her. "Is this the end of the show?"

Qrow shook his head before answering. "Things like this never end that easy kid. There are still scores to settle and loose threads need tying. I doubt we'll be out soon."

Amber just nodded and returned to her chair. Still unsure of her contribution to this grand narrative.

"Professor?" Oscar asked Ozpin while he is observing the students in front of him. "About the war," the boy gulped before asking the question. "Can we really win against Salem?"

Both Glynda and Ozpin's eyes widen at the question. Unable to answer for a few seconds.

"I mean, what if we are like these people." Oscar gestured at the screen. "What if this endless war just ends up destroying us all."

"I won't let it happen," Ozpin replied as he looked at Oscar in the eyes. "What I see in front of me are various lessons from other worlds that from conflicts that we never faced before. I will make sure to use every knowledge I learned here to make sure to end this once and for all."

Oscar is stunned at the proclamation but Ozpin continues anyway.

"No more secrets. I will make sure everyone has a voice in our campaign. We cannot allow distrust to break us like these people."

Oscar nodded in affirmation while Glynda smiled. It seems like they need more coffee for work once they get home.

Meanwhile, a smile curled up on Salem's lips as she hears Ozpin's little speech. It seems like the end of their war is about to arrive.