Chapter 7

As the dinner progressed, we discussed random things, from work to love life to family. Soon, it was over and we split the bill among ourselves. 

On the way back home, I told Pragya about this morning's encounter and also our weird promise. She was pretty shocked that we met again but was more puzzled by how we were being so friendly with each other. She knew that we hadn't particularly ended on good terms back then. She said she was happy for us even as I constantly kept reminding her that he's engaged and irrespective of that, we didn't stand a chance. But, of course stubborn as she was, she didn't listen. Deja vu, people deja vu.

The next day, I reached the office just in time. I was waiting for the lift to arrive so that I could go up to my floor. When the lift arrived and I got in, I saw Anquit running towards the lift. The doors were about to close and I stopped them from doing so, waiting for him to reach. 

"Thank you!" He panted, when he reached and the lift had finally started ascending to our floor.

"No problem," I smiled at him.

He smiled back.

We stood there for a while. The overly cheery background music floating in the air, I racked my brain to come up with something to say. To try and make conversation.

"Con-"

"So.."

We ended up saying at the same time. I meant to congratulate him since my stupid ass had forgotten to do it yesterday. He seemed to be asking a question.

"After you,"

"You first,"

We ended up saying at the same time again. At that, the both of us chuckled. By then, we had reached our floor and the lift dinged open. Shreya was standing there. And I could tell she was amused by the way we were laughing together. Thankfully, even though we meant to go to the same floor, our ways parted here. This conversation could be continued later, I thought.

***

2014

"I like him." I whispered to myself. The world seemed to melt away at that moment. Everything seemed lighter and heavier at the same time. It changed everything. And nothing. I don't even know how that's supposed to make sense. That was the last thing on my mind as I fell asleep. I'll overthink everything else tomorrow.

The whole of next day, it was hard to act normal. I was internally freaking out at the thought of actually seeing Anquit at lunch.

Would he mention our yesterday's chatting?

No why would he do that it obviously isn't as important to him as it is to you, stop being stupid.

But what would I say to him?

Nothing, just ignore him like you always do. Duh!

It's official, I'm losing my mind. Why else would I be having a conversation with myself? That's when the bell rang, signalling the start of the break.

NO!! Not so soon.

But you'll get to see him.

Oh god, get a grip, Ishvika!

I couldn't help the slight smile spreading across my face as he looked at me, raising his eyebrows as if asking, "Sup?". I shrugged in response and he sat down next to Pragya as usual. I leaned back on the wall to my right,  involuntarily sighing.  He greeted the others and dived in to eat from Pragya's tiffin. That boy was always eating other peoples' foods.

I zoned out for some time, concentrating on my boring roti sabzi and managed to zone back in long enough to hear Kanak say, "I would eat Arjun Kapoor like a five-course meal for real." and I almost snorted. Kriansh was choking, mumbling something like "I'm related to crazy asf people I swear." while all of us were laughing our heads off.

"Yeah me too but Aamir Khan," I replied.

Pragya raised her hand in a high-five as she said, "Same!"

That's when Kanak said, "Doubt it! We all know who it's gonna be," waggling her eyebrows at me. I already knew that there's only one person she could be talking about as I rolled my eyes and replied,

"Puh-lease! I'd sooner eat lauki ki subji, and I'm allergic to bottle gourd," at the same time as Anquit said, "Not happening, I don't do hookups, babe", looking at me before turning to Kanak and telling her, "Kanak you should know that"

"Who said I do hookups?" I ask him sarcastically.

The others start OOHHHHing at that. To the extent that everyone else in the class began eyeing us. Meanwhile, Pragya made a show of covering her ears before bellowing, "Straight jaake left, third door on the right!" (Go straight and then turn left)

"Kya?" (What?)

"Janitors' closet!"

"I think the both of us made it abundantly clear ki we're not interested?" I tell her, now exasperated. Can we please talk stop talking about this? I silently pray to god.

Anquit says, "Yeah, what she said. Ish, look we finally agree on something!"

"Yeah, I guess," I reply. However, my mind is somewhere else as I wonder, did he just call me Ish? What does this mean? A part of me is embarrassed but the other wants to run up to the terrace and just scream at the top of my lungs. He just gave me a nickname. How cool is that? Well, the others call me Vee sometimes but this is different isn't it?

My trance is broken by Kriansh's voice saying, "Ooh! Using nicknames already!"

I could have sworn Anquit almost blushed as he tried, and failed, to feign nonchalance, asking Kriansh, "Toh? Tumse matlab?" (So? What's it got to do with you?)

"Nothing dude, chill!" Kriansh raised his hands in mock surrender.

"Anyways, I'm going to go wash my hands," I announced, standing up and making my way out to the aisle.

"Wait, I'll come with." Pragya said, simultaneously getting up from beside me.

"Okay, chal!" (Let's go)

We walked out of the classroom and into the crowded corridors. Halfway to the washroom I heard someone yell from behind, "Ishika Bhatia!"

Of course, the principal had to be on round today. Yayy!! She doesn't even remember my name. I wanted to correct her so bad but I would only get suspended so I just turned around and said "Yes, ma'am?" instead.

"The exams are coming nearer, don't you think you should be studying instead of aimlessly wandering about in the corridors?"

"Yes ma'am, I'm sorry,"

"Well, you should be!" With that, she waved her hands in dismissal. We turned around and began walking to the washroom silently. Once she was out of earshot, I said to Pragya, "Problem kya hai unki? Jab dekho tab mujhe hi bolti rehti hai. Itne saare log nahi dikh rahe unhe ghumte hue? Mai hi mili thi na. Tujhe bhi kuch nahi bola unhone toh," (What's her problem? She keeps targetting me. Can't she see all the others milling about in the corridors? But no, she had to yell at me only right. She didn't even say anything to you)

"Haa na! Matlab hum saath mai kar rahe hai na corridors ko 'aimlessly wander'. Toh fir? Khair, unka humesha ka hai, kya kare" (Exactly! I mean the both of us are wasting time and yet she yelled only at you. It's always like this, what can we do)

"Hmm true," Despite my grumbly self, I couldn't help but smile at the way she said that.

"Aaj maza aayi pata hai, class mai. It's so much fun to pretend ki you both are so in love with each other even though that's so far from the truth," As she laughed her head off beside me, I could only smile half-heartedly. Doubt was creeping into my brain. I had just realised something. 

Pretend. Pretend. Pretend. That was the only word repeating itself in my mind. We're just pretending.

So do I really like him? Or is everyone else's teasing growing on me? What if I just think I like him because of all of the shipping? 

What the fuck have I gotten myself into?