Chapter 14

2014

"Yaar, yeh itna bada kyun hai?" Kriansh was cribbing about the assignment we'd been given in class today. (Dude, why is this so long?)

"That's what she said," I chimed in between giggles as everyone snickered at that.

That got me a kick in the leg from him. Barely missed our still interlocked hands.

Phew. Close call.

"Chalo, I've got to go-" I began saying, simultaneously trying to free my hand. He tightened his grip, not letting me. I kicked his leg, trying to get him to drop it. But it made no difference. (Chalo-Anyway)

Didn't he get it?

I was lying.

For him.

Stupid.

"Kyun?" (Why?) Kanak asked.

"Lavanya ma'am ke nakhre hai! She asked me to come and see her during lunch break. Nahi jaana mujhe, par jaana toh padega," I said, acting as if I was reluctant to leave. Anquit finally let go of my hand. (Lavanya ma'am and her drama! I don't want to go but I'll have to)

I got up, heading out of the class and towards Lavanya ma'am's class. She hadn't actually called me, but who's going to tell them that. As soon as I was out of my classmates' sight, I dashed for the staircase. We had decided to meet at the secluded place in the cafeteria.

I took a seat and leaned back, resting my head on the wall. Anquit would be here soon. Hopefully.

About five minutes later, I sensed someone's presence near me. I opened my eyes a bit, squinting to see who it was.

Once I had ascertained it was Anquit, I closed my eyes again. I felt him sit down next to me.

I was waiting for him to do something. Knowing him, he would try to wake me up by doing something silly, irritating me to the core in the process.

When nothing happened for a few minutes, I opened my eyes, looking towards him, to find him staring at me with a slight smile on his face.

Oh no, was I drooling? Or was something else on my face?

I sat up, wiping at my cheeks and chin, looking at him questioningly.

"What're you looking at?" I asked him.

"Huh? Nothing!" He seemed lost like he was zoned out and I had caused him to zone back in.

I raised my eyebrows, not believing him at all.

"What? I was looking at you. You looked peaceful, damn beautiful."

I sighed.

Don't do this Anquit. My heart is too weak for your words.

Sensing my discomfort, he joked,

"So now I can't even look at my girlfriend?"

"Ssh! We need to look for a place to hang out. One that's away from prying eyes. You know, Pragya saw us aaj subah," I said, changing the topic.

"We weren't really doing anything right? Dekhne ka kya tha usmei." (What was there to see in that)

"No, but according to her we seemed too close. Especially because we're supposed to hate each other and argue all the time."

He snickered at that. "True,"

"Anyway, my point remains."

"Hmmm, where can we go?" He asked more to himself than me.