Chapter 16 - 1

2014

I couldn't keep the smile off my face after lunch. At this point, even Pragya was very suspicious about why I seemed so happy. But who's going to tell her? Not me for sure. My thoughts kept taking me back to the moment he had kissed me. Alas, he had run away before I could return the favour. My thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of the bell. It was the last period. I had finally managed to finish the homework I was supposed to submit right now.

Phew!

The period passed by in a blur and soon it was dispersal. Anquit joined us as we descended the steps to the place where buses used to be assembled. I looked for my van, deposited my school bag, and alighted again. Maisha was yet to reach. I went in search of Anquit's bus to meet him.

"Hi," He said as he got down from his bus.

We were standing a little far away from his bus. Dispersal was a time for everyone to meet in random places, lean across random buses, and stand in groups until it was time for the buses to leave. No one would notice us. Only Kriansh, who was in Anquit's bus might spot us, so we had chosen a spot far enough to stay out of his sight.

"Hey," I replied. I felt shy all of a sudden for some reason. I ignored it, much like I've been doing to the feeling since today morning. Giving myself a mental pep talk, I took a deep breath, trying to relax.

"Kya chal raha hai?" He asked. (What's going on)

"Fogg," I replied, smiling to myself. (A perfume brand- from a famous advertisement)

He rolled his eyes at me, "Life mai," (In life)

I rolled my eyes right back at him, "Kuch nahi, sab toh pata hai tumhe."

He chuckled at that. And I moved back a step, leaning on the bus behind me. He was leaning on the bus in front of mine. We had blocked the passage between these two parked buses, but who cared anyway. We were looking at each other, smiling like there was a joke we were both in on. I tried raising my feet, trying to keep them on the tires of the bus Anquit was leaning on.

And I succeeded.

For 5 seconds, after which I almost tripped. My right foot slipped and landed with a thud on the ground, my hands, which were on my side, flying to grab the bus behind me for support. He held out his hand, in an attempt to grab me before I fall, gripping me near my elbow. I dropped my other leg too, now standing like a normal human being, and looked up at him.

"Lagi kya?" (Were you hurt?) He asked.

"Nahi," I replied, looking up at him to see him trying to contain his laughter.

I smacked him, freeing my elbow from his grasp. "Has mat," (Don't laugh) I muttered back, acting all grumpy.

"What? It was funny, And I know you agree. Aur sach mai, kisne bola tha aise stunts try karne ke liye?" (And seriously, who asked you to try such stupid stunts?)

I couldn't help but smile, it was funny. "Mere dimaag ne,"(My brain did) I said, answering his rhetorical question.

He shook his head at me, "Pagal hai tu," he flicked my forehead as he said that. (You're crazy)

"Sirf tere liye," I replied cheekily, also flicking his forehead. (Only for you)

Just then, the bus Anquit was leaning on honked, causing us both to jump. t was time for us to board our respective buses unless we wanted to miss them and be left stranded alone. As everyone around us scrambled to get to their buses, I said bye to him hastily, kissing his cheek before running away to my van. I didn't turn back to see his reaction. I didn't know if I wanted to see it.