Chapter 12

2014

2 days and 7 hours.

That's how long it had been since we'd started dating.

Not that I was counting.

Everything felt so new and different. I felt like I hadn't been happier than this in my entire life.

And maybe that was true. I had this constant urge to tell him everything that happened in my life. And I did. We used to chat late into the night every day, talking about ourselves, our day, etc.

Our conversations had started out simple. "What's your favourite colour?" simple. But soon we were talking about anything and everything under the sun. Getting to know each other. Right now, I was telling him about how I almost fell down in my society while playing today while he was bombarding my chat with laughing emojis. He had told me about his younger sister, who by the way, is the cutest creature on this planet, and her shenanigans.

Dating was so much fun. I couldn't wait to see him tomorrow morning.

***

It was the Short Break right now. I was standing outside his classroom, pretending to be interested in the charts tacked onto the soft board outside his class door. Their class was getting extended. Teachers never followed the bells but we were always expected to. What kind of hypocrisy is this.

I had meant to meet him in the zero period today but I had gotten late to school. The zero period was basically the 20 minutes before classes started and everyone had already reached school. I had missed that and five minutes of the first period too. Thank god I hadn't gotten a late remark.

My thoughts were interrupted by the teacher exiting the classroom.

Finally!

I thought to myself.

He had seen me standing outside the class and within minutes he was outside, grinning at me like the damn Cheshire cat.

I grinned back at him.

"How's life?" I asked him as we started making our way around the corridors. We made sure to avoid my class because no one in our friend group knew yet.

"Bahut boring," he shrugged at me. (Bahut - Very)

"Heyy! Mai hoon na tumhari zindagi mai, toh interesting kyun nahi hai?" I pretend to get offended, lightly slapping him on the arm before folding my own arms and looking straight ahead, putting on a serious expression. (Heyy! When I am in your life, how can your life be boring)

"Accha baba, tumhari wajah se bahut interesting hai, khush?" (Fine fine, it's really interesting because of you. Happy now?)

"Hanji! Yeh hui na baat," I laugh at him, and I take his hand, intertwining our fingers. That was about as far as we'd gone yet. But slow and steady I guess. (Yeah! That's more like it)

He looks down at our hands and smiles back up at me.

That's when the bell rings, indicating the end of the break. Everyone starts scrambling to get to their respective classes on time.

"See you in the lunch break," I said to him. I wanted to hug him but there were too many people watching. Besides, we hadn't really hugged ever so that would be very awkward I guess.

"Yeah see you!" He replies and we part ways.

I came back to the class just in time for the next teacher. As I sit down next to Pragya, she asks me,