eight.

THE CHOSEN ONE'S CHOSEN GIRL - BOOK 1chapter eight !

chapter eight !

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

THE one thing I wanted to be made clear to everyone was that Hagrid was not going to get in trouble. It was not his fault the hippogriff got upset and behaved like an animal. That was his natural instinct, and Hagrid did tell us what would happen if we insulted a hippogriff. It wasn't Draco's fault that he forgot that part either. Madam Pomfrey had hurriedly reassured me that Hagrid wouldn't be in trouble before forcing a potion down my throat, and I decided to let it go for now. If Professor Dumbledore had any sense, he'd definitely let Hagrid explain what happened, and if he didn't, I'd plead him myself. It was not his fault.

"You're going to need another dose in ten minutes," she stated sharply, warily eyeing the blood that was staining the paperwhite bandage that hid bright red scars that were now embedded in my chest, and placed the cup on the bedside table. "You've lost a lot of blood. You're to stay here until you can stand without collapsing."

I sighed and nodded, not having the energy to argue back. I was fine. I knew I was. I'd received and suffered injuries that were far worse than this, with no more problems than losing a bit too much blood. Why was I so lightheaded and collapsing every time I stood up after a couple of scratches from a hippogriff? I smiled slightly at Madam Pomfrey's grumbles about Hagrid having hippogriffs in his very first lesson and leant my head back on the pillow, laying a delicate hand on the very large bandage wrapped around my chest. Well, at least I couldn't forget my very first day at Hogwarts. My Divination teacher was a fraud, my Transfigurations teacher and Head of House could turn into a silver tabby cat, and I got attacked by a hippogriff. That'd be a great story to tell my children. Trying not to giggle and make the nurse think I was also suffering mental issues, I held my hand over my mouth and looked over at the door to see my dad almost knocking several of Madam Pomfrey's medicines over to reach me, looking extremely panicked and dishevelled. I immediately sat up to show him that I was fine, but panic just flashed through his eyes again as they landed on the blood-stained bandage on my chest.

"Dess!" he breathed, pulling me into a hug and being careful to avoid the scratches, and let me go, panic and worry still prominent in his features. "Are you okay? Fuck, I knew something like this would happen, I never should've taken the job."

"Dad," I said, watching him start to pace the length of the bed.

He started rambling on about how stupid he was for thinking we could ever have a life at Hogwarts, and I sighed to myself, trying to gain his attention. He wasn't stupid at all, he was just excited to come back, and I was not about to let him resign. I'd never seen him so happy, and I loved his smile so much. There was no way I was going to let it disappear.