nine.

THE CHOSEN ONE'S CHOSEN GIRL - BOOK 1chapter nine !

chapter nine !

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

STILL recovering from the shock of Professor Snape's treatment towards Neville, I followed my fellow Gryffindors to lunch in the Great Hall, the Slytherins trailing behind us as most of them cackled and mocked Neville, and awkwardly shifted the strap of my bag on my shoulder, biting my lip. As I expected, everyone stared at me when I entered the room and, for the third time that day, covered my chest with my robe, clearing my throat and making a beeline towards the sandwiches at the end of the Gryffindor table. I needed to see Hagrid as soon as possible. He needed to know that I wasn't mad at him at all, and Dad wasn't either. He shouldn't blame himself at all, all he wanted was to give us a fun first lesson!

Gathering ten ham sandwiches and wrapping them in napkins, I walked out of the Great Hall and stuffed the sandwiches gently in my bag as I heard running footsteps behind me, descending the stairs from the Entrance Hall and into the courtyard. I turned and saw the blonde boy that was Draco, sighing as I stopped. Much like the subject of Potions, I didn't know what to think of Draco. He'd always been so lovely to me in the two days we'd been in contact, but I didn't like how he treated my Housemates. He was extremely arrogant and bigoted, but I couldn't help but smile slightly when he gave me a soft, genuine grin, so dissimilar to the malicious smirk he wore constantly.

"Hi, Draco." I breathed. "Tell me what I've done to be graced with your presence."

He chuckled. "How's your chest? I would've asked earlier, but Pomfrey said you were with your father, and I didn't want to intrude."

I shrugged. "I'm still alive."

He grinned again and walked with me in complete silence as I continued to venture to Hagrid's house, reaching up to take my ponytail out. I didn't get why he was walking with me. If I understood the rivalries at Hogwarts, Draco Malfoy was supposed to hate me. I was a half-blood Gryffindor, and he was a pure-blood Slytherin, the people I saw as my friends were his seemingly sworn enemies. Yet, we were somewhat friendly towards each other. I'd seen him in his vulnerable state and saved him from a hippogriff. When he sparked up a conversation by asking why I did save him, I shrugged again and told him that I didn't know. I honestly didn't. I guessed that was the reckless Gryffindor in me.

"Draco, why did you insult the hippogriff?" I asked, looking up at him as we reached the bridge. "Hagrid told us that they were easily offended."