fourteen.

THE CHOSEN ONE'S CHOSEN GIRL - BOOK 1chapter fourteen !

chapter fourteen !

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⋆⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶

WHEN we walked into Defence Against the Dark Arts on Monday afternoon, I, along with everyone else in our class, was ecstatic to see that Dad was back in action and looking moderately healthy. I hadn't managed to see him after I told him what had happened to Harry at the Quidditch match because he insisted that I spend some time with my friends for the rest of the weekend. I felt awful for leaving him, but he promised he'd be okay and that I needed to have time with people my own age. Who was I to argue? So I spent the whole weekend with Fred and George as well as Seamus and Dean with small increments of popping into the Hospital Wing to see Harry. Fred and George hadn't missed the kiss on the cheek I'd given Harry, and, like older brothers would, they had teased me endlessly for it, but I'd said that it was just on impulse and that it didn't mean anything. Except it did. It meant a lot. I'd accepted that I might've had a small crush on the Potter boy, but I couldn't tell anyone. Anyone and everyone would make fun of me. The new girl had a crush on the Boy-Who-Lived. I could hear the taunts now.

Harry couldn't know.

But, as soon as everyone saw Dad standing at the front of the room, they all exploded in complaints about the work Professor Snape had set, and I saw the fear in his eyes when he heard that Professor Snape had decided to teach them about werewolves. I furrowed my eyebrows at that. Why was he so scared? Of course, Professor Snape wouldn't try to out us, would he?

"Did you tell Professor Snape we haven't covered them yet?" he asked with a frown, and that made the class cry out again, making him smile as he saw the anger on everyone's faces. "Don't worry. I'll speak to Professor Snape. You don't have to do the essay."

I knew it. I grinned triumphantly as I looked back at Harry and Ron, and they both smiled back, the three of us exchanging a look at Hermione's crestfallen face when she revealed that she'd already done it. I told her not to bother with it!

If Harry had felt awkward about me kissing his cheek, he didn't show it. In fact, he greeted me with a shy smile when I visited him after dinner that night, and it was like nothing happened. We joked and laughed loudly with just the two of us, and I loved it. Harry was one of my best friends, and I would've hated myself if I destroyed that with that stupid kiss. I was never going to do that again. It was so risky.

As Dad started talking about Hinkypunks, which was a very odd smoky one-legged creature, I felt a tap on my shoulder and hesitantly turned to see Harry grinning at me with a folded-up note in his hand. Sneaking a glance at Dad, I rolled my eyes at my bespectacled best friend and took the note from him, quickly turning around to face Dad and unfolding the parchment under my desk.