36| let go

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

It's been a day since Dove got released from the hospital. I booked the flight for 3:30, giving her enough time to tell her family goodbye. She was so drained when she got out that we figured it was best she lie low for the day, so I ended up sneaking her into the basement.

And yes, I did clean it before I brought her down there. She never saw the needles, thank God.

"You'd think someone moving their entire life would have more than just one suitcase and a duffle bag," I say.

Dove shrugs. "There's not much I want to bring with me. When I say that I'm washing my hands clean of South Carolina, I mean it. I love the place, and I'll never forget all the amazing memories I had here. The last thing I want is to bring all that baggage with me. So I only packed the things that I wanted with me in Chicago."

"That's valid. Here, I'll take it up to the car, you can chill with everyone in the living room. My parents should be here any minute to see us off."

Dove's smiling, but I know she's nervous. We had a long conversation about my parents last night, specifically my mother. I've told her so much about her and sung her praises, I feel like if I was in her shoes, I'd be nervous too. But I know Mom's going to love her. There's no way she couldn't. Dove has this charm to her that makes it impossible for people to fall for her, no matter who they are.

Mom and Dad are just pulling into the driveway as I put the duffle bag into the trunk. My mom's out of the car before it even stops moving, throwing her arms around my neck. "You look so much better, baby!"

"I feel a lot better," I give her a quick hug. "Everyone's waiting inside."

She nods and motions for my father to hurry up and get out of the car. He approaches and places a hand on my shoulder, squeezing gently. It's not a hug or anything, no words are exchanged but it says so much. I think we're finally going to be able to work on our issues. I'd really like it if we could go back to thinking highly of each other.

Upon entering the living room, Adonis runs over to my parents and gives them a big hug. Dad returns it and Mom plants a kiss between her brows. Next is Emma and the three of them exchange tight hugs and a few words. The shocker comes with Damon. He comes up to my parents and holds out a poorly wrapped box to them. Dad takes it, clearly scrutinizing the wrapping in his head, but he opens it regardless. Mom screams as Dad pulls the pink and white stick from the box.

"I'm going to be a grandma!" she exclaims.

Emma and I look at each other, and I know we're thinking the same thing: that it's surprising it didn't happen sooner. I'm not trying to be a hater, but the two of them fuck like rabbits and that's nothing but a fact. That doesn't mean I'm not happy for him. "So when's the wedding?" I ask jokingly.

Adonis jabs me in the side. "When's yours?"

I glance over at Dove and chuckle when I notice the tips of her ears are red. She notices me looking at her and shakes her head before giving Adonis a tight hug. "Congrats, you're going to be an amazing Mom!"