lx

The graduating cadets had been given assignment and were shipped off, it now the next morning, Colt and the others set to leave in mere hours. Riona was cuddled into his side, her head resting on his chest as he gently massaged her scalp, the couple having woken up only moments ago. "You can't stay one more day?"

"I wish I could, cyar'ika, but we're already pushing it. Technically, we should've left when the shinies did." He hummed, voice still thick with sleep. She'd pressed closer to him, holding back a sad sigh as she tilted her head so that she could see his face. His eyes were closed, the muscles in his face completely relaxed, as well as his body. She could hear his heart's steady rhythm, feeling his chest slowly rise and fall as his lungs filled with each breath. Upon feeling her stare, his lips had curled into a small smile, the apples of his cheeks becoming dusted with a light shade of pink. "You're staring again, honey."

"I can't help it, you're just so handsome." She murmured, lightly taking his face in her hand, just barely running the pad of her thumb over his long eyelashes. Then, she'd done the same with his eyebrow, lightly tracing down his temple and along his soft cheekbone, her skin ever so slightly brushing against his. It had given the man a chill, though he didn't complain. As she'd done the same to trace his nose and lips, he'd gently taken hold of her hand and pressed a soft, lingering kiss to the palm. "I've already become spoilt by your presence, ner'cabur. You've kept my bed warm and my mind at ease, and I'm not ready to let you go just yet."

"I'm not ready, either. But the war goes on, and we must do our part to better the galaxy as much as we can until it's over." He'd pressed another kiss, this one to her forehead, and then shifted so that he could lay face to face with her.

"When did you get so wise, hm?"

"When I was forced to deal with a Jedi so reckless, I was sure I was going to get myself killed to guarantee she stayed safe. And to this day, there is still nothing in the entire galaxy that I wouldn't do if I knew it would keep her going." His voice had slowly gotten softer, though had a serious tone laced within, Riona grinning.

"That's one lucky girl to have someone like you looking out for her." She hummed, the two sharing loving grins.

The general and her soldier laid in bed together for as long as possible, holding each other close and sharing small kisses. With a war raging and keeping them apart, who knew how long it would be until they got to see each other again. They were going to make the most of what time they had, and when the time came to prepare the leave, neither person dared to move as the commander's comlink began to go off. Letting out a heavy breath, he'd gently reached over her to grab the small device, the woman nuzzling further into his chest. "This is Colt."

"Commander, we are set to leave within the hour. Transport is being checked over now."

"Thank you, Havoc. I'll meet you in the hangar soon."

"See you then, sir." As the call had ended, Riona tightened her hold around his waist ever so slightly, attempting to tangle her legs in his. She'd been dreading this moment since he'd arrived.

"C'mon, we need to get up. You've got a meeting with the council, remember?" He murmured as he slowly shifted to sit up, bringing her along with him as he stood. Moving in a crestfallen silence, she had carefully helped put his armor on. As she clipped his kama into place, he gently ran his fingers through her long hair, disappointed at how it felt different with his gloves than when he was bare-handed. When it came time for his chest plate, he sat down on the edge of the bed, gently resting his hands on her hips after it was on. Looking up at her, he offered a small smile. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Colt." She smiled somewhat, pressing a soft kiss to his forehead. It wasn't often she was taller than him, though when she was, forehead kisses were a must. Once his vambraces were on, he'd offered his helmet to her, Riona hesitant to take it. "I don't want to put that on you."

"Why not, love?"

"Because then it means you have to leave." Her voice had cracked, eyes burning as tears began to well. This was the part she hated the most, as did he. "I don't want to watch you board."

"You don't have to, ner'karta. We'll part ways here, but you know the boys will want to see you before we leave." He murmured, taking her face in his hand and lightly running his thumb over her cheekbone.

"I know." She'd closed her eyes as she leaned into his touch, holding his helmet firmly in her hands. After a beat of silence she'd felt his lips on hers, the two sharing a soft kiss before pulling away a moment later. Taking in a deep, shaky breath, she'd gently placed the helmet over his head. Colt was glad that the dark visor covered his face, not wanting her to see the tears he finally let well in the corners of his eyes. Gently pressing their foreheads together, his fingers were tangled in her loose curls as they shared a moment of silence before pulling away, murmuring their goodbyes.