xlviii

Kit was sitting in the least comfortable chair he'd ever had the displeasure to sit in, head leaning back against the wall. He was slowly waking up, Riona's astromech beside him. This is where the two had spent every night for the past three weeks, sleeping next to the tank she had been submerged in. He had been keeping a watchful eye on all of her vitals, questioning everything Nala Se and the med droids had done just to consult one of the healers in the Jedi temple over comms. Never once did he reveal why, though, keeping her wishes in mind.

Cobalt gently prodded at his side as he had begun to stretch, a rather unfavorable habit he had picked up from Riona. Flinching somewhat, he groaned before gently patting the droid's dome. "Good morning to you, too."

A sting of beeps and whirrs followed in response, a low hum emitting from the nautolaun as he stood. Stretching his back properly, and away from the reach of the droid, he grunted and huffed. Catching sight of the tank caused a pang of sadness in his chest, shoulders falling once he allowed himself to relax again. Sighing softly, he closed his eyes, reminding himself that this was important. That she needed it.

"Do you mind if I step out for a while?" As he watched the dome swivel side to side, he gave a small thank you.

"Ri, I will return soon. Cobalt is here to keep you company." He spoke in a soft tone, raising a hand to gently run a thumb over the transparisteel of the tank as if it were brushing against her cheek. During this entire process, he felt as if he were a Padawan and she was a youngling again. He was always protective over her, finding it difficult to keep his attachment to her at bay during council meetings. But now it was like the first time he saw her with a saber all over again. Panic rooted deep in his gut, worry that she may come out of this scarred in some way. He just wanted to protect her, shield her from the world around them as much as he could.

Giving a small nod to the droid, he turned on his heel and stepped out of the room. As the door hissed closed behind him, he let out a shaky sigh before making his way towards Riona's quarters. He planned on taking a quick shower and changing into fresh robes, perhaps meditating, even. He could probably do that while he was in shower, though. Kill two panna birds with one stone. Water always helped him relax, helped when he needed to recenter himself. Then again, so did Ri.

When he reached her door, he once again racked his brain for any reason she chose this specific number sequence as he typed it into the terminal. As far as he knew, it didn't pertain to anything, and she usually liked to keep passcodes that were significant to her in some way. He made a mental note to ask as he stepped inside. Grabbing the satchel he had brought with him, he went into the refresher and started the water in the shower. Stepping in, he stood under the cool water and closed his eyes, taking in deep breath. Focusing on the way the water streamed across his skin, he used it to help guide himself into empty meditation as he worked to center his emotions. He had gone into a deeper state than he usually did, due to all of the stress and fear he'd been under recently, and had ended up taking longer in the shower than he originally intended.

When he finally stepped out, he carefully dried off and tugged on a pair of shorts. Riona had gotten them made for him before they left her home-world, the silk smooth and cool against his skin, and he was beyond grateful. Some fabrics were difficult to wear, due to the sensitivity of his skin, to the point where irritated, dark and angry patches would begin to form. His robes were made of special material so that he could be comfortable, instead of the traditional fabric usually worn by Jedi. Still, though, he preferred to wear the least amount of clothes possible if he was able.

He ran a hand over the base of the headtails at the top of his head, letting out a breath as his comlink began to beep on the countertop. Pressing the small button, a message was displayed.

[ Script Received: Ri ]

Nala Se has come to wake her. Keeping her locked out for now. Hurry

"Force." Kit hissed under his breath, nearly stumbling as he moved quickly. Rushing out and into the corridor, he sprinted to the room Riona has been held in, bare feet pounding against metal flooring. Troopers and Kaminoans in the halls didn't think twice as he brushed past, used to seeing a Jedi scramble down the halls, everyone simply stepping aside to clear his path. As he drew closer to his destination, he could see a very unimpressed and upset technician at Nala Se's side, the two having been trying to override the astromech's hold on the locking mechanism in the door. Biting back a chuckle, he slowed his stride until he was standing with them. "Allow me to try?"

"Master Jedi.. Where are your clothes?" Nala Se frowned, brow furrowed as she looked him over. He didn't respond, simply excusing himself as he pushed between the two and lightly knocked on the door. "Cobalt, let me in now, please."

The door hissed open, the droid rolling back and letting out a chuckle as he returned to his place beside the tank. Kit followed, listening to the kaminoan mutter about being chased out of the room and lightly patting Cobalt's dome. "May I ask what the waking process will be like for her?"

"How do you know--" "This astromech and I have been in constant communication. Not a thing happens in this room without either of us knowing. Now, I ask again, what will this process be like for her?"

"Her system will be flooded with a serum to wake her, and then she will be able to remove the breathing tube and breach the surface on her own."

"Absolutely not."

"Excuse me?"

"If you expect her to be able to remove that tube on her own, you are sorely mistaken. If she wakes while still in there, she is going to panic, and hurt herself. There has to be another way." He had taken on a firm tone, standing with strong shoulders as his dark eyes bored into Nala Se's. She stood quietly for a moment, half taken aback and half considering what the Jedi suggested.

It really wouldn't hurt to wake the woman now, they could always send another to replace her. Or the Republic could cancel all remaining clone orders because of the actions of one, and they would have to terminate millions of credits worth of work that remained in the facility. 

"I suppose.. I could pull her out myself, inject her with just enough serum for her to wake gradually."

"Would I be able to take her back to her quarters once she's out?"

"If you feel that is best."

"I do."

"Then that is what we shall do."

——»»»»☆««««——

Kit was sitting on the couch, half-watching a holo with Riona curled up in his lap. It had been a few hours since she was discharged from medical care, and once they had gotten back to her quarters he carefully cleaned her up as best he could. She hadn't gotten a complete bath, but at least now she wasn't covered in bacta goo. He wasn't a fan of the slimy texture, and he knew that she wouldn't be, either. He was lightly trailing his fingertips along her lower back when she had begun to stir, though her movements were small.

She let out a small huff through her nose, curling into his lap more as her cheek rested against his chest. Slowly bringing a hand up, she began to lightly trace the dark green freckles on his shoulder, a habit she formed at a rather young age. Her eyes were half-lidded and heavy, touch barely there, but she was finally awake. Her body felt like it wasn't own, and her arm had begun ache the longer she held it up, yet she would not complain. Partly because she hadn't quite found her voice yet.

He tilted his head to smile down at her, pressing a soft kiss to her forehead as he hummed lightly. "Good morning, my dear Ri."

"Mornin'." She mumbled, voice thick and hoarse from not being used in so long. They sat quietly for a moment, Riona simply enjoying her brother's presence before letting out a sigh.

"Something isn't right."