xlvii

Riona woke with a small whine, the warmth she had been receiving from Kit gone, a chill running through her. Shifting to bury herself further into the bed, she nuzzled her face into the pillow and pulled the blankets up to her ears, curling into a ball. She managed to drift half-way back to sleep before there was a small dip in the bed, someone pulling at the duvet. "It's time to get up. Ri."

"Sleepy." Her voice was thick with sleep, muffled by the pillow. She didn't even bother opening her eyes, tugging the blanket back and tucking it under her chin. Kit let out a light chuckle, carefully throwing the blankets over to the other side of the bed so that they no longer covered her.

"Kit!" She gasped and whined, curling into herself more at the sudden rush of cold air. "You're being mean."

"I didn't want to be, but I'm afraid you're leaving me no choice. Now, are you going to get in the shower like a big kid, or do I need carry you in there and turn on the cold water?" He was onky half joking, and she knew it. There were many times growing up where he had put her in an ice cold shower on mornings like these, where she knew getting out of bed meant starting a most unfavorable day.

"No! I'm up, I got it. Don't touch me." Riona sat up so fast she almost gave herself a headrush, nearly falling out of the bed. He laughed lightly at the sight, taking her hand and helping her out of the bed, making sure that she was stable before taking a step back.

"Good morning, my dear sister."

"Is there caf?"

"After you get out of the shower."

"You're so mean to me." She pouted, though began making her way to the refresher.

"I know, love. Remember to take your hair down." He hummed, smiling to himself as he went into the commonroom. Cobalt had just powered up, the Jedi gently patting his dome as he requested that breakfast to be delivered from the mess. He hadn't seen Riona since the Battle of Pamarthe, and he would be lying if he said he wasn't worried about her the entire time. He's known her since she was four, having met her not long after she'd arrived at the temple on Coruscant, and he could read her like a holofile. More than anything, though, he missed her. Before the war had begun, there was a period of time where they were inseparable. You could not have Kit without having Riona by default, and vice versa. She truly was his little sister, and he wouldn't have it any other way.

Now, facing the fact that she needed to go into bacta, he knew that he needed to be here. She needed him, needed Plo, even though she refused to say it aloud. Ever since her encounter with the Black Sun, the medbay was the last place she ever wanted to spend her time. He has watched her go to great lengths to avoid having to interact with med droids and healers, even going so far as to setting her own broken bones. But bacta was another story. When Depa had to be immersed in a tank, Riona was horrified by the idea, having completely overthought the subject and sent herself into a panic. It had taken Kit and Plo both to settle her, promising her that they would protect her so that she never would have to be treated that intensely. Today, though, he felt like he had failed her. The most important promise he had ever made to her had been broken, and the guilt made his stomach sick.

Nala Se hadn't said how long she would be in the tank, but he vowed to stay for as long as it took. He wasn't going to leave until he knew that she was okay, that she had been healed and everything was going to be okay. He owed that to her.

"You promised caf." Riona's voice had pulled him out of his thoughts, Kit looking up to see her drying her hair with one of her tunics. A pout was etched into her features, and he smiled softly. "It will be here soon, I promise. How was your shower?"

"Warm. I almost didn't get out." She hummed softly, tossing the tunic into her bedroom and plopping down beside him on the couch. He wrapped an arm around her, resting a hand on her bicep as she leaned into his side and raising an eyebrow.