Tiradentes

Before:

"What should we do with his body?"

The guards looked at each other than at the person that had the highest rank amongst them.

No one thought about what to do with the body because no one thought that would be a question. Everyone assumed he would be buried in an unmarked grave, like all the other revolutionaries.

However, after the spectacle that was his execution, an unmarked grave seemed beneath him.

"Well, we could quarter him and use his pieces as an example that rising against the Queen is a bad idea."

Everyone was scared by the gruesome suggestion, but no one said anything. They started to sew the body and collect the pieces.

Before:

"If I were richer or had risen above alferes, I would not die. All my fellow conspirators were banished because of that. They may say it was because mine is the only case with aggravated circumstances. Still, everyone knows this is just an excuse," said Tiradentes.

"Well, be thankful that you are only being hanged," replied the guard.

Before:

I, Maria Francisca Isabel Josefa Antónia Gertrudes Rita Joana, send this letter to commute all but one death sentence of those guilty of lèse-majesté.

The only death sentence I, Maria I, Queen of Portugal, do not commute is of the one known as Tiradentes because I understand that there are aggravated circumstances since he took full responsibility for the movement known as Inconfidência Mineira.

However, because I am a benevolent Queen, I hereby forbid the use of cruel death as a sentence, in this case.

Before:

"After three years of a fair trial, I find you are all guilty of lèse-majesté!" Declared the judge, "And as such, you will all receive the capital punishment!"

Before:

"Were we betrayed?"

No one wanted to believe that was possible. All the Inconfidentes hated the monarchy and wanted freedom for Portugal; there was no way anyone could betray the ideas of the Inconfidência Mineira.

"Look around, is everyone here?" Asked Tiradentes.

The revolutionaries looked; three members were missing.

Before the rage took control of all the inmates, Tiradentes started to laugh. His companions thought he was going crazy.

"Why are you laughing?"

"I just imagine how they will use my nickname as something pejorative in the trials. Try to see all those loyalists saying Tiradentes rather than my real name."

It wasn't funny, but everyone laughed; they laughed so they wouldn't cry nor be enraged by the betrayal.

Before:

"And if we betray the others, all our debts with the crown will be forgiven?"

"In full."

Colonel Joquim Silvério dos Reis, Liutenant-Colonel Basílio de Brito Malheiro do Lago and Inácio Correia de Pamplona looked at each other. At this point, it was too late to go back. They all nodded at each other.

"Okay, here are the names--"

Before:

"We should learn with Rousseau and the American Revolution," said Tiradentes to no one; he knew those were dangerous words, that's why he kept them to himself.

Before:

"I'm very proud of you! After everything that happened to you, you manage to build a life. To learn with no school, to become a renowned dentist, even though people could be a little more creative with your nickname, I mean, Tiradentes is a very unimaginative one. You're also erudite. There're no limits to what you can accomplish; you will make history."

Before:

"I can't offer what your parents offered, but now that you lost everything, I can at least offer you more than poverty, homelessness and hunger. I can teach you to be a dentist, like myself. What do you say, my nephew?" Asked Sebastião Ferreira Leitão, he was Tiradentes' uncle and godfather.

Before:

"We'll take everything. With your father's death, it's the only to collect your family's debt."

Before:

"This was your mother's place; one day, you'll thank me for leaving. You don't want to grow around memories, especially sad ones. Take a last look, and always try to remember your mother moving around here, bury her death and the silence."

Before:

"His name will be Joaquim José da Silva Xavier, and everyone will remember it!"

THE END

*****

Tiradentes means "teeth puller" and/or "teeth remover."

Alferes was the lowest military rank in Brazil at the time, something like Officer cadet.

*****

Joaquim José da Silva Xavier; November 12, 1746 – April 21, 1792), known as Tiradentes, was a leading member of the colonial Brazilian revolutionary movement known as Inconfidência Mineira, whose aim was full independence from Portuguese colonial power and creation of a Brazilian republic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiradentes