Barbed Wire Sunday

If you like my job, please support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/giovanicesconetto

*****

"Verdammte Hölle," cursed Klaus.

"Shhhh, they're listening," advised Torsten, pointing to the guards.

Klaus, grabbing the wire, looked at where the other worker pointed and said, "They're always listening."

At some point in East Berlin, a Stasi officer smiled while saying to himself, "Yes, we are."

After a couple of minutes of work, Klaus repeated, "Verdammte Hölle!" However, this time, he completed, "I don't mind separating us from them, but couldn't we do it during the day? It's fucking midnight! It's so dark that I can't even feel the cuts because I can't see where I'm cutting myself."

"Shhhh," Torsten repeated.

"Oh, fuck you!" Klaus was pissed, "I'm fucking loyal! I believe in Khrushchev. I hate Americans, and I'd be the first to march over Berlin to make this city ours. They wouldn't dare touch me for complaining about working so fucking late."

Klaus was very wrong.

Torsten ignored the complaints of the comrade. He knew better.

Klaus, of course, didn't stop. Like anyone pissed with anything, he needed to get going. Otherwise, he was going to explode, or so he thought.

"We shouldn't build a wall. We should take arms and march. We should kill the traitors and reclaim what is ours!"

This time, Torsten took a few steps to the side. He wanted to show he wasn't listening and, especially, wasn't agreeing at all.

Klaus kept running his mouth, "This fucking bricks and mortars and barbed wires. This a cowards weapon."

As soon as the last word came out, both workers knew that Klaus had crossed a line. Both also knew that there was no going back.

With a trembling voice, almost crying, Klaus tried to beg for forgiveness, "I'm sorry! I'm stressed and tired. I don't know what I'm talki--"

Two Stasi officers took him. He tried to beg and say he was sorry. Of course, it didn't work. Klaus thought about fighting, but he didn't. He knew it was useless.

Two more officers came for Torsten. They smiled and shook hands.

"Good job."

Torsten smiled and went with the officers. They had a bottle of vodka waiting for them in a secret Stasi office.

As always, Stasi's message was loud and clear. So, the other workers did what they had to do. They kept their heads down and worked even harder.

THE END

*****

Barbed Wire Sunday (German: Stacheldrahtsonntag) is the name given to 13 August 1961, when the military and police of East Germany closed the border between East and West Berlin and began the construction of what would become the Berlin Wall. The intention of closing the border was to prevent the migration of East Germans to the West.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbed_Wire_Sunday