France Antarctique

If you like my job, please support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/giovanicesconetto

*****

"What?" Asked Nicolas Durand de Villegaignon when he saw the five young women.

The admiral couldn't believe what his eyes were seeing. He was incredulous.

"A special gift from King Henry II," explained the captain of the Grande Roberge.

Villegaignon was still open-mouthed. He couldn't conceive what the King was doing that with them.

"This can't be. The King knows what we're doing here. It was almost his idea. He wouldn't maculate our settlement with--" the admiral didn't finish his sentence. There was no need, the hate and the disbelief was tangible in his voice.

The captain put his arm around the neck of the admiral, hugging him, "The King said people were talking. People were talking before we left and have kept talking since. Everyone thought that it was so very much weird that we came to create a colony with no women."

"The King knows the reason behind that!" Shouted Villegaignon.

"Yes, but so everyone else. As he explained to me, no one would've accepted your request for more men without him sending the young women," the captain kindly and sadly gazed at the admiral. "The King is helping us. He believes in our ideas, but he also knows that we need to hide."

"We came to the New World to hide!" At that point, Villegaignon knew he was acting out of stubbornness. After all, the King was right. For the colony to thrive, France needed to support it. And there was no support, with the court didn't want.

Furthermore, they were more than 300 men, and they were only five young women. It would be nice to have someone to cook and clean.

"Have you come to your senses?" Asked the captain.

"I understood the King's gift. However, I still didn't come."

Nicolas Durand de Villegaignon smiled at the captain. Together, they entered Fort Coligny.

THE END

*****

France Antarctique (formerly also spelled France antartique) was a French colony in Rio de Janeiro, in modern-day Brazil, which existed between 1555 and 1567, and had control over the coast from Rio de Janeiro to Cabo Frio. The colony quickly became a haven for Huguenots and was ultimately destroyed by the Portuguese in 1567.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_Antarctique