Revolt of the Lash

If you like my job, please support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/giovanicesconetto

*****

"Are you ready to listen to me?" Asked the Senator.

No one was. Actually, no one wanted to. However, they were out of options. Everything else had failed. The Senator wasn't a good alternative, but it was the only one. So, everyone agreed.

"We have to give them amnesty," the Senator's fellow politicians were in utter shock when they heard his proposition, as he anticipated.

The Senator waited for half a second before starting to talk again. Enough time to see everybody's reaction, but not enough for someone to speak.

"Of course, we would be lying."

Again, everyone was in shock. But this time, it was a different kind.

"We promise them whatever they want. Hell, we even transform Rui Barbosa into a useful idiot," everyone smiled with this possibility. "Then, when all the traitors are back, and we control the ships, we invent some lie and say they aren't respecting the terms, or they still are a risk, and we incarcerate them. If we tell the right story, everyone will be at our side," the Senator concluded with a smirk.

Of course, the politicians and militaries accepted the idea. Not only because it was the only one, but because it was a good one—mainly because it would keep their reputations and popularity intact. They weren't going to be the traitors. In the end, they were going to be the heroes.

They toasted to the plan. They toasted to victory and to being crowded heroes.

THE END

*****

The Revolt of the Lash (Portuguese: Revolta da Chibata) was a naval mutiny in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in late November 1910. It was the direct result of white naval officers' use of whips ("lashes") when punishing Afro-Brazilian and mixed-race enlisted sailors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolt_of_the_Lash