Black Ribbon Day

If you like my job, please support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/giovanicesconetto

*****

The pyre burned hot. The fire was tall and powerful. Everyone around was sweating. No one could have imagined that books were a better fuel than wood or coal. If they knew, they would be using it for a long time.

From above, he observed. The fire turned the night into day on the streets. But on the balcony, the light made him look like a God. He relished the fear and admiration of everyone below him.

He had always felt like a god. Now, he knew how God felt looking down. He loved it.

At that moment, he decided to keep that feeling at all costs. He would do whatever he needed to do to maintain the fear and admiration. It did not matter the actions. The power would forever be his.

By burning the books, he showed his powers. But books could not defend themselves. He needed more, much more.

The next step was clear as day, people. People could defend themselves. But people could also be soldiers. What better way to test their loyalty?

It began with small orders. Then it grew. Soon, their acolytes were burning others like they burnt the books.

And he, above all, smelled the flesh and smiled. He was a god, maybe the only God. There was no doubt about it.

While the scream and the odour filled the night, he swore there was nothing to stop him.

"God is unstoppable."

Fortunately, he isn't.

THE END

*****

The Black Ribbon Day, officially known in the European Union as the Europe-wide Day of Remembrance for the victims of totalitarian and authoritarian regimes, is an international day of remembrance for victims of totalitarian regimes, specifically Stalinist, communist, Nazi and fascist regimes. Formally recognized by the European Union, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe and some other countries, it is observed on 23 August. It symbolizes the rejection of "extremism, intolerance and oppression." The purpose of the Day of Remembrance is to preserve the memory of the victims of mass deportations and exterminations while promoting democratic values to reinforce peace and stability in Europe. It is one of the two official remembrance days or observances of the European Union, alongside Europe Day. Under the name Black Ribbon Day it is also an official remembrance day of Canada, the United States and other countries. The European Union has used both names alongside each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Ribbon_Day