War of the Oranges

If you like my job, please support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/giovanicesconetto

*****

"Generalísimo, what should we do?"

Manuel de Godoy stared at the soldier standing in front of him. Then, the Generalísimo looked at the letter in his hand. The message was a direct order from the Queen. She demanded answers.

Godoy sighed. That was not his fight, per se. Of course, as any proud Spanish, he wanted to conquer Portugal. However, if it weren't for the French, especially Napoleon, no battle would happen.

At first, victory seemed on easy reach. The Spanish and the French faced almost no resistance from Olivença and Juromenha. But then, things got complicated.

Lieutenant-colonel Dias Azevedo resisted a 17 days assault. After that period, the Spanish and French armed a siege in Campo Maior and there were no signs of victory.

Worst than that, Godoy tasted defeat in Elvas. General Francisco de Noronha easily repelled Godoy's attack, and the Generalísimo and its troops had to flee to a safe distance.

At the moment, Portugal controlled two major locations and had blockades holding Spain and France from advancing to Lisbon.

Godoy sighed again. There was nothing to be done. It was a stall, one with no signs of ending soon.

"Generalísimo?" The soldier tried again.

With a last sigh, Manuel de Godoy did the only thing he could, "Get some oranges and send to the Queen with the following message," Godoy took a deep breath, summoning the courage he needed to do what he was about to do, "To Queen consort Maria Luisa, yadda yadda yadda, it is my pleasure to announce you that, to the best of my knowledge, soon we will reach Lisbon. I am sending you these oranges so you can savour the taste of victory. Yours truly yadda yadda yadda."

The soldier couldn't believe what he just heard.

"But sir, that's a big l--"

"I didn't ask for your opinion, soldier. I am your superior! I am Generalísimo Manuel de Godoy. You will do as I order, or you will be a traitor. Are we clear?"

They were.

The soldier left to write and send the letter. But before he left, Godoy said, "And for God's sake, pick the best oranges you can find. We can't send any orange that it's not as sweet as honey with sugar."

The soldier agreed and left. Generalísimo Manuel de Godoy sighed. He hoped Portugal had enough oranges for him to keep his lie.

THE END

*****

The War of the Oranges (Portuguese: Guerra das Laranjas; French: Guerre des Oranges; Spanish: Guerra de las Naranjas) was a brief conflict in 1801 in which Spanish forces, instigated by the government of France, and ultimately supported by the French military, invaded Portugal. It was a precursor to the Peninsular Wars, resulting in the Treaty of Badajoz, the loss of Portuguese territory, particularly Olivenza, and ultimately setting the stage for the complete invasion of the Iberian Peninsula by French forces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Oranges