Prologue

Jax sat there, Lillian's hand in his, thinking about what she'd just told him. He couldn't even imagine what it must have been like growing up in the system. If she hadn't told him, he would never have guessed it in a million years. She was so strong and cheerful, kind and sweet. Now, he knew deep inside, she was hurting just like he was. The need to protect her grew by the minute and he knew if he voiced it out, he'd be the one who needed protection.

"Here you go." Mindy placed a plate of food on the table.

Lillian snatched her hand from Jax's hand but he was quick to grab ahold. Mindy smiled and left them alone. Lillian snuck a look at Jax who was looking at her with a raised brow.
"What was that?"

"I don't know." She said, "Instinct. I wasn't thinking."

"Are you ok?"

"I'm fine." Lillian smiled suspiciously as she slid her hand slowly out of his and got started on her food.

Jax leaned back into his seat and watched her. She'd just told him a small part of her past and he was ready to take up a sword. He wondered what she'd been through to end up the way she did. She was an incredible person and the more time he spent with her, the more he wanted to know more.

Lillian glanced at him.
"Stop." She said gently.

"What?"

"Looking at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like that."