Chapter 25

Jax was loading a finished piece onto the back of his truck when he heard the crunching sound of tire on gravel getting closer to his place. He slid the covered piece down the back of the truck and took off his protective gloves as Lillian's car came into view. He felt giddy and there was nothing frivolous about it while Otto, who was inside the truck, barked

Lillian parked her car next to Jax's truck and glanced at him before she reached the passenger's seat for the muffin she'd packed for him. She'd stayed back at Mindy's after her shift and made another batch for him. Lillian stepped out of the car, giving Otto a head scratch before she made her way towards Jax after she shut her car door.

"Hey, you," Jax said with a smile.

"Hey." Lillian smiled. "Brought you something."

Lillian stopped an arm's length away from him and handed him the container as Jax glanced up at her with wide excited eyes which made her chuckle.

"All for me?"

"All for you."

"Oh my." Jax opened the container and took out a muffin.

Lillian lifted herself up onto the back of his truck while Jax closed the container and took a bite of the muffin. He sighed in contentment as he joined her on the back of his truck. Jax placed the container between him and Lillian which was when she noticed what was on the back of his truck.

"Is this what you were working on?"

"Yes." Jax said, "I have to get it delivered to Colchester right now."

"Oh, don't let me keep you then." Lillian started to get off the back of his truck when he stopped her.

"Actually..." Lillian turned to look at him, "Would you like to come along?"

Lillian felt her heart skip a beat.
"Uh, I have..."

She could always write, but not always go on a trip with him.

"How far away is it?"

"It's a half-hour drive, back and forth."

Lillian nodded with a smile.
"Alright."

"Alright." Jax smiled.

"Let's get going then."

"C'mon Otto," Jax called and Otto barked.

Soon, Jax was driving down to Colchester with Mike Edel's Still thinking about you playing on the radio. Lillian staring out the window, the breeze in her hair and Otto's head on her lap as she unconsciously rubbed its head. Jax smiled and looked back at the road. He was glad he'd asked her to come along and even more glad she agreed to come along.

"What's on your mind?"

Lillian looked at him with a smile still on her face as she leaned back against her seat.
"Just how peaceful it is. Not to mention beautiful."

"I'm guessing that's why you chose to come here." Jax said, "To unwind."

"Actually my...", Lillian paused when she was about to say 'agent', "...friend told me to come here. She owns the cabin I'm staying in."

"Oh."

"And I'm so glad she did because I would have missed out on all of this."

Jax glanced at her.
"I'm glad you're here."

Lillian looked at him and smiled.
"Me too."

Otto whimpered when Lillian stopped rubbing its head, they both looked down at him and laughed.