Chapter 17

Lillian was starting to see a clearer plot as she typed away on her first chapter sticking with the original dummy prologue. Somehow, the prologue which she'd been trying to avoid making part of the original story was the one ingredient she needed to put all the pieces together. It was Jax, he seemed to be the thing to bring her story together at least the concept she had for the story.

She typed away with a smile and alexrainbird music blasting from the speaker. It matched her mood, her speed and made her want to never stop writing. She felt unstoppable and like she could sit in that chair and keep writing for however long it took her to complete the story but the thing was she had no idea where this story was going. Unlike the series she'd written and planned to a 'T', this new story was different because she had no idea where she was headed. She wasn't the one in control of the way the story went, the story was and that felt exciting. She didn't know what would happen next until she reached there, only then would the words take her where she was meant to go.

Lillian's fingers hovered over her keyboard as she reached for her cup and found it empty. She had run out of juice, so she got up and went down for another glass only to arrive there and find the bottle empty.

"That wouldn't do." She said to herself as she shut the refrigerator.

Grabbing her keys, she walked out of the cabin, got into her car and drove into town to get some more juice. She needed some to continue writing, it was what kept her going. She got two bottles from Parker's and was heading back to the cabin when she saw the time and decided to get some lunch to go from Mindy's as she wouldn't be able to cook until dinner came around.

Stepping out of her car, she locked it and walked into Mindy's. It was in the middle of the afternoon rush as Lillian made her way to the counter. She waited till Mindy was able to take her order before she scanned the room for a vacant table but found none.

Jax was seated with his back to the main door when he snuck a glance to see how Mindy was doing with his order. Mindy needed some extra hands in the diner, the afternoon rush was no joke. He caught sight of Lillian scanning the room for empty seats and he waved at her. She caught his gaze and smiled. He gestured to the seat across from him and she made her ways towards him and took the seat across from him.

"Thank you." Lillian said as she sat down.

"It's not often I see you here for lunch." Jax said.

"Keeping an eye out for me, are you?"

Jax opened and shut his mouth having nothing to say to defend himself. Lillian laughed.

"Don't sweat it." She said, "I stopped by Parker's to get something and thought I'd get some lunch to go. I'm afraid I would've skipped lunch if I hadn't come in."

"What's got you so busy?"

"Uhh..." Lillian panicked, "Work."

She'd kept her identity as Heather Brown a secret all this while. Mentioning she wrote for a living wasn't exactly something she liked to mention as it would lead to questions about her works and what was she supposed to do then?

Thankfully, Mindy arrived then with Jax's lunch.

"So sorry it took a while, Jax. This afternoon rush always has me in a mess."

"It's ok Mindy, but you need to get some help."

Lillian watched both of them.
"I could help." Lillian said without thinking.

Jax's and Mindy's gaze turned and were fixated on her. She looked from one to the other.
"I mean if you'd like, Mindy."

Mindy and Jax looked at each other and back at Lillian.

"I would appreciate it." Mindy said delightfully.

Lillian smiled.
"Great." She got up. "Where do you want me?"

"The kitchen, right this way." Mindy said as she made her way back behind the counter.

Lillian smiled at Jax and followed Mindy. Jax's gaze followed her with a smile before he got started on his lunch.

Lillian helped Mindy deliver the food which was prepared by Hank from the kitchen to the customer's table. It had been a while since she'd waitressed, it was like riding a bicycle though. She got the hang of it once she got started and she actually missed the rush of it all.

The afternoon rush slowed over an hour later, the customer's had stopped coming in, and the diner tables were no longer filled. The customers present were almost done, only then did Lillian step out of the kitchen joining Mindy behind the counter.

"How do you handle that on your own every day?" Lillian asked Mindy.

"I have no idea. But it sure didn't go as fast as it did with you helping out." Mindy said with a smile. "Thank you, Lillian."

"Oh no problem, anytime." Lillian said, "Actually if you'd have me, I'd love to help out."

"Oh no, I couldn't."

"Mindy, let me. Just lunch hours since that's when you're busiest."

Mindy looked like she was debating her answer.
"I don't have much to pay."

"Oh, that's not a problem." Lillian said.

"I can't let you work for free."

Lillian was quiet for a moment before she grinned.
"How about my hours for a meal?" She asked, "This is the closest I can get to a home-cooked meal."

"It's a deal." Mindy smiled, "Now you go have a seat and I'll get you your lunch."

Lillian took off the Mindy's apron then made her way around the counter. She immediately saw Jax was still around. She frowned as she made her way to him.

"You're still here." Lillian sat down across from him.

Jax hadn't wanted to leave. He'd watched Lillian as she worked, she'd seemed to get into the flow and if he didn't know better, he'd say she's been a waitress at a point in her life.

"I am." Jax said, "You were wonderful."

"Oh, it's nothing."

"Tell that to Mindy who seemed to be happy you had things under control as she took orders."

Lillian looked out the window as old memories played before her. Jax kept his eyes on her.
"I was a waitress for a few years. New York had a much crazier rush than this."

"I bet."

Lillian looked at him with a smile.
"It seems like a lifetime ago now. It felt nice to help."

Jax smiled and Mindy came over with Lillian's lunch with a cold drink, on a tray and not in a to-go bag.

"There you go."

"I wanted to have it to-go."

"You sit down, relax and enjoy the company." Mindy said, "There's no rush."

Lillian smiled at her and focused on her food.

"Did Lillian tell you she offered to help me during lunch hours every day?" Mindy asked Jax who was surprised.

"No, she didn't."

"Well, she is and I'm just so lucky." Mindy said with a smile before she left their table.

Jax watched her until Lillian looked up at him and froze.
"What?" She asked him.

"You are full of surprises, Lily."