Chapter 41

It had been a couple of weeks since Lillian left Burlington and Jax hadn't gone anywhere except his workshop and down by the ocean. He was running out of groceries and he knew he had to head into town to get some.

That afternoon Jax braced himself and got into his truck then drove to town. He passed Mindy's forcing himself not to search for her car and then parked in front of Parker's. He walked in and Parker's turned to him. Jax gave him a curt nod and made his way to the shelves.

It took Jax a few minutes to get everything he needed before he headed to the counter where Parker patiently waited for him.

"I was starting to worry about you." Parker said as he scanned the groceries.

Jax glanced at him and stayed silent.

"Everything alright with you?" Parker asked as he bagged up the last item.

Jax nodded and paid for the grocery. He grabbed the bag and was about to head out when Parker stopped him.

"Jax?" Parker called.

Jax stopped and turned to him.

"If you need to talk, I'm here." Parker said, "Whatever's going on, you don't have to bottle it all up inside."

Jax took a moment to take everything in before he nodded.
"Thank you, Parker."

"Welcome, son."

Jax made his way out the door and then headed for his truck, his gaze turned to Mindy's parking lot just out of habit and he frowned when he didn't see her car.

If her car wasn't there, then she probably wasn't working today's afternoon shift which was weird. Jax put the grocery in his truck and headed towards Mindy's. If she wasn't around then there was no use avoiding going in to get lunch.

The bell rang as Jax walked into Mindy's. Jax stopped in his tracks when he looked up and all were on him. He blinked and then swallowed hard.

What was going on?
He wondered.

Everyone went about their business as he kept walking towards the counter where Emily sat talking to Mindy who was on the other side of the counter.

"Yea, she said she's much better now." He heard Emily say

"But did she sound better?" Mindy asked,

"Her voice sounded clearer but still down and tired."

Mindy and Emily were the only ones who hadn't noticed Jax had walked in until he was standing next to Emily.

"Em, Mindy." Jax greeted.

They both turned to him looking like deers caught in headlights.

"Jackson!" Emily said,

"Jax, it's good to see you." Mindy said, "We were all starting to get worried about you."

"There's nothing to worry about, I'm fine." Jax said as he took the seat next to Emily.

Jax was starting to wonder if Lillian had said something.

"Well, I'm glad one of you is." Mindy said, "I'll get your lunch."

Mindy was gone before Jax could ask what she meant.

"Late lunch?" Jax asked Emily

Emily shook her head,
"No. Just helping out for the lunch rush. Taking a break before I head back to the clinic."

Jax was tempted to ask but stopped himself before he could.

Mindy came out of the kitchen with Jax's food a while later and placed it right in front of him. He didn't like the look on her face, she seemed like she would much rather have him gone right that second.

"Is everything alright, Mindy?"

"Why wouldn't it be?" Mindy asked as she glanced at Emily.

"Nothing." Jax shook his head, "You just look like you want me gone."

Mindy blinked a few times before she sighed and shifted her gaze away from him feeling ashamed.
"I'm sorry." She shook her head, "It's none of my business what you did or didn't do, but I'm just heartbroken is all and I'm taking it out on you because she isn't here."

Jax frowned, confused.
"Who isn't here?"

Mindy frowned and glanced at Emily who mirrored her expression. They both looked at Jax who glanced from mother to daughter and back to mother.

"Uh, no one. I've got to attend to the customers." Mindy was gone.

"And I've got to head back to the clinic." Emily got up and was out the door before he could ask another question from either of them.

What was that all about?
He asked himself.

Jax had his lunch, placed some cash beneath his plate because Mindy had been stuck in the kitchen and then, he headed out of the diner and towards his truck. As he opened the door, he heard his name and turned around to see Mindy heading towards him.

"I'm meant to give you this." Mindy handed him a white envelope.

Jax took the envelope and when he read his name on it, he immediately recognized the writing.
"What is this?" He asked, almost angrily.

"If I had to guess, I'd say it's a letter."

"I don't want it." Jax handed it back to Mindy which made her frown.

"Then burn it. Throw it in the trash. Do whatever you want with it." Mindy said, "Lillian asked me to give it to you and I have."

Jax was getting furious by the second as he stared at the envelope.

"I don't know what happened between the two of you to make you this mad and to drive her away from town."

Jax snapped his gaze at Mindy,
"Lillian's gone?"

Mindy nodded,
"She left town two weeks ago." She said, "The last time I saw her was on her birthday, she was planning to have dinner with you but you two never showed and I figured you decided to stay in, so Hank and I locked up."

Her birthday.

Happy Birthday!
The voicemail from Deidre played in his head.

Somehow that had slipped past everything else he heard on the voicemail when he hadn't been thinking. He had ruined her birthday dinner.

Well, she ruined his life. At least she was planning on ruining it with that story about him.

"Thank you, Mindy." Jax said and got into his truck then drove back to his place feeling sullen.

When he got inside his apartment, he placed the groceries on the kitchen island and then began to sort everything, putting them in their right places. When he was done, he reached into his pocket for his keys and felt the letter in his pocket. It took him a moment before he pulled out both his truck keys and the letter.

Jax stared at the letter for a ridiculous amount of time before he sighed and tossed it into the key bowl along with his key. He turned around and walked into his room and that was the end of it.

Or so he thought.

******************************************************
An early update cause I can literally feel all your anticipation.

Next update will be on Friday.

Love,
Jane Lanett.