Chapter 2: Hell hath no fury

Hi guys! Publishing early because I have a crazy day tomorrow!
Hope you're all doing okay!
I feel I should clarify, that there won't be much bashing in this fic. A bit for Dumbledore for being a controlling bastard as per cannon, a little bit for Ron Weasley who I don't think should have been forgiven by Harry after year four (his response was reasonable for a jealous teenager but Harry has enough shit going on during that year and the following ones to deal with a fair weather friend), and a bit more for Molly Weasley who does not pass the vibe check in my personal opinion.

———

The Gargoyle outside Dumbledore's office raised an eyebrow.
Delphi grimaced in return, "he asked for me, Laverne."
"Of course he did." Sighed the Gargoyle. "Up you go."

She was a long suffering one, and they had both bonded long ago over mutual frustration of the current headmaster. Mostly his favourite power play of neglecting to tell people the password to enter his office, thus forcing even the Minister for Magic at one point to desperately list sweets.
The method had thankfully backfired with Delphi though, as the Gargoyle had drawn the line at children undergoing such treatment, and as such, let the girl in regardless of whether the Headmaster himself was even in his office or not.

Delphi did not let her mind wander though, pulling her hair back into a ponytail as she made her way up the stairs. Indeed the Headmaster cared very little for age, which is why, as per every meeting since their first, she needed all her wits about her.

———

Five years ago

"Sir, why are you trying to pass my occulumency barriers?"
Delphi watched as Dumbledore blinked in contained surprise before putting on a grandfatherly smile, "forgive me, my dear, but with such knowledge in your mind, it is imperative that people cannot enter it. You have the knowledge to completely transform the war to come..."

Delphi may be young but she had good instincts, and did not ignore how the hair rose on her neck at that statement. Tom Riddle was indeed a good legilimens, but it was many years before he'd be a threat, as Dumbledore must know. The excuse was poor.
She dropped it though. "Of course...I'm sorry for saying what I did, I shouldn't have but the mirror..."
The headmaster waved away her concerns, "death is but the next great adventure, besides I may not have died, visions and prophecies work in mysterious ways."
She nodded and waited quietly for the man to get to the point. His eyes twinkled like Antipodean Opal-eye eggs, and it set her on edge.

When she didn't speak further, Dumbledore leaned forward in his chair, his expression turning serious. "Miss Lovegood, you must know above all others the dangers to come and the sacrifices that will be made. If you can tell me what you know, I am in a position to avert that suffering."
Delphi felt calm wash over her.
This was the man who defeated Grindelwald.
He was so much older and wiser than she was, he could definitely do great things with this knowledge. All those deaths, she might not be able to stop them, but he certainly could.
He was Albus Dumbledore after all.
She opened her mouth ready to pour it all out, but then a small voice spoke in the back of her head.

'This feels wrong.'

Three words but suddenly the moment shattered. She was on edge when she arrived, wary of this man and with good reason.
The compulsion charm fell away and she glared at the headmaster, standing and moving from the desk.

He opened his mouth but she got there first.
"Forgive me headmaster, but as you well know, if I were to do as you ask, we'd anger powers even you could not face. I must refuse your offer, and apologise. I had forgotten for a moment just who you are. You may be the leader of the light, but that does not mean that you aren't fully willing to tarnish your own soul for the sake of your cause."
She forced herself to calm down, unclenching her fists and taking a deep breath.
"Do not worry, I will not forget again, Headmaster."