Chapter 22: Truth Will Out

And so it begins.
POV changes are a little bit messy this chapter, apologies!

———

Delphi felt cold to her very core.
It was the day.
She wasn't attending the third task, she was barely keeping together as it was.

She was making her way to the library to stare at a book on Arithmancy for as long as possible, when fate decided to raise their middle finger at her, and just shove it in her face, how stupid and ineffectual she is.
"Delphi!"
She closed her eyes, taking a shakey breath before turning to smile back at Cedric Diggory.
"Hey Ced."

"Not coming?" There was a tension there, nervousness in his eyes.
She tried her most casual shrug, "there'll be so many nargles I'll get a headache, and it..." her voice wavered but she thought she'd played it off well enough, "it won't change the outcome."
He laughed, "I love the way you never even pretend."
She shrugged, managing a sarcastic impression of innocence. "I don't know what you mean Ced, I'm just Hogwarts' crazy lady."
He still smiled but his eyes turned serious, "I'd best go, wish me luck?"

Her heart was slamming into her rib cage, and a reckless urge rose in her. She could do it. He trusted her...if she told him not to take the cup, he probably wouldn't.
She could stop it.
Save him.
Save this gentle, loving, wonderful man from a death he didn't deserve.
But at what cost?

His death was the turning point, the wake up call, the trigger. It was a keystone event in time. Fate would punish her terribly for inferring.
Which was why, despite the tears pricking her eyes, she gave her best smile, "I know you won't need it, but best of luck Ced. You're my best friend and I know you can do this."
His whole aura seemed to glow at her assurance, and his grin widened as he pulled her into a tight hug. "Thanks Delphi. I'll win it for you!"
He let go all too soon to dart back down the corridor. Thankfully he didn't look back.

She didn't even have the strength to stand upright again once he'd pulled away, sinking to the floor as tears pooled, blurring her eyesight.
'I'll win it for you'
'I'll die because of you'
She heaved but no air seemed to reach her lungs. She curled up in the middle of the corridor, certain in that moment at least, that no one the world over could feel so wretched as she did.

———

Fred and George paused as they reached the top of the stands, gambling kit in their hands.
They were quite excited for the third task, especially the money they were going to make with their betting pools. But before they properly got into it they had wanted to talk to Delphi.
She'd been getting withdrawn over the last few days so they wanted to check she was okay.
Nothing more.
But she wasn't anywhere.

"She's probably running late." Said Fred.
Neither twin believed it.
"Save three seats, and I'll go check the map." Said George, voice light but forced.
They parted and George headed down the stands, going behind them to avoid prying eyes and scanning the map Harry had happily lent them back for the last week.
With most of the school outside, it was easy to find her. She seemed to be on a corridor near the library. That wouldn't be weird if not for the fact that the footprints weren't moving.
She was probably talking to a painting.
Or rummaging through her bag for something.
Or probably just lost in thought.
Almost certainly, she was absolutely fine.
God damnit George hated being in love sometimes.

He swore colourfully then strode back to extract his brother.
They were going to miss the start to one the biggest events of this decade if not century, but another glance at Delphi's name in red script forced him to accept that he really wouldn't make any other choice.