Chapter 34: Express

Back in the UK! I loved SA dearly, but wifi, privacy and fresh milk were pleasures I dearly missed at that field site.

I cannot say what this will mean as far as publishing goes. I'll try to publish more often but I'm not really happy with these chapters (this one included honestly) so we'll see what happens.

Enjoy!
Well, probably not.

———

As they sat around in the darkened living room of the Lovegood house, no one spoke for several minutes. They must have made a rather peculiar sight, dressed as they all were to the nines, and sat about on a motley collection of seats. Bill was perched on a piano stool, fiddling with his cuff links and exchanging worried glances with Fleur. Sat on a gilded loveseat that wouldn't look out of place in fifteenth century France was Arthur Weasley, still clutching a half eaten sausage roll Delphi was hungry enough to consider stealing.

"They've gone." Said Molly Weasley eventually, in frail whisper, gripping the arms of her fold up camping chair tightly.
Ginny looked furious, having watched the golden trio disappear without her. Having watched Harry leave her behind, again.
Arthur nodded. "They're smart kids dear, they'll be okay."
He reached over as Molly burst into tears and pulled her into his arms.
Bill squeezed Fleur's hand and Charlie gazed at the floor in worried contemplation.

"Ginny," said Delphi calmly into the silence, "come help me make everyone some tea?"
She nodded stiffly, and Delphi led her to the kitchen.
"Harry didn't want to leave you." She murmured as she filled the kettle, "but you can do more here than you can do for them."
"How exactly?" Hissed Ginny, her eyes burned, but it was more with hurt than anger.

Delphi set the kettle to boil with a flick of her wand, and fetched some mugs from the cupboard.
"Next to Harry, you have the best leadership skills."
"So?" Was the muttered response. Charlie had given his sister his jacket, and Ginny tightened it around her shoulders as she glared at the kettle.
"They'll make you go back to school. Ron's set up the ghoul to cover for his absence, but they'll make you return, use the children to control the parents, and those children are going to need defenders."
Ginny relaxed a little but didn't speak.
"To be honest I think that was what Hermione had in mind when they left you here. Neville and Luna need you. Hogwarts' students need you to protect them. You'll see him again okay?"
Ginny burrowed into her side and Delphi wrapped her arms around her tightly, hating Voldemort even more than usual in that moment. Ginny was sixteen, she should be procrastinating over her studies, overanalysing friendships, learning who she was...not being forced to to risk her life.

They brought the tea out to a discussion about the order's next move.
Over the next few hours several patronuses reached them from other order members confirming their safety and everyone decided to remain scattered for now and try to get as many muggleborns out of danger as they could.
The take over was 'peaceful' so far, as the death eater that met the Weasleys on their return to the burrow told them distainfully. He apparated after a few thinly veiled threats before leaving them to repair their ransacked home.
The children were to return to school, Arthur to his job, and continue on as 'normal'. They were still pure bloods. Something did change though. Charlie, Bill and the twins stayed at the burrow - Molly would blow a fuse otherwise.
Anything they did, they'd have to do carefully.

Unless they were Xenophilius Lovegood naturally.
Delphi was proud of whatever bravery her father had found in order to continue printing the truth for those that would notice. She helped where she could, cooking for the family, printing, editing his articles to cut out some of the stuff that went off pieced. She knew they were taking a risk, but before the war went full out it was the best way to get people the information they needed and get them to prepare. Plus the blood wards could protect him and her from any surprise attack.

It was only with the certainty that Luna wouldn't be hurt, that Delphi let her sister board the Hogwarts express. Luna always landed on her feet, and Ginny and Neville would have her back.
Her father had stayed home, busy writing another article cheering Harry on so the sisters were alone as they parted ways.
"Be careful Lu." She murmured, holding her sister close.
Wise grey eyes met her indigo ones, "I'm always careful, you know that Phi. And we perfected my earrings this summer to keep off the nargles anyway."
She smiled as Neville reached them, waving the pair off with a cold feeling in her chest.

The twins had come to see off their sister too, and when the new Hogwarts Golden trio entered the train they turned to her.
"See you tonight for dinner yeah?" Asked George.
She smiled and nodded. "About time we actually explain things to your family."
Fred grimaced. "Try and leave it till the end so we can enjoy the food first, huh Delph?"
She nodded, kissing each twin lightly on the lips before they disapparated after the rest of the Weasleys.
She thought about dinner as she turned, planning to watch the Express leave before going home.

That was when the stunning spell hit her back.

———

Delphi was half an hour late.
"Charlie..." began Molly hesitantly after a quick tempus charm, "would you go and check the Lovegoods? See if everything's alright? I'm sure she just lost track of the time...whimsical family."
Charlie nodded to her and then to Fred and George before taking out his wand and heading to the edge of the wards to disapparate.

He returned only five minutes later, his face white.
"They took her." He managed, and Fred's legs gave out.
He settled into a seat as the brood surrounded him.
"She's not...they took her to control Xenophilius...stop him printing his pro-Harry articles. They'll kill her if he continues."
"Oh..Fred..." Molly turned to pull Fred into a hug.
Arthur went to George.
They held onto their parents for dear life. They cried. And no one judged them for it.

"She's dating both of us mum." Whispered Fred after a time.
Molly pulled away in surprise as George continued, voice trembling, "we were going to explain tonight..."
"Oh George!" Molly pulled him into her hug, still not letting go of Fred.
Arthur rubbed their backs in reassurance, "we'll find her. She'll be okay, Fred, George, she'll be okay."
Bill spoke up then, "I hate to point this out, but I think this is a lot more serious than you guys are making out."
The group turned to stare at him and he hastily continued. "She's a seer right? I mean, she kept it relatively quiet, but what if they know? What if he knows? Her knowledge could end this war in his favour in moment."
Charlie swore, as whatever calm the twins had regained evapourated.
"If they..." George's voice shook so much he broke off, his knuckles white on the arms of his chair.
"We'll fly there. Break her out like we broke out Harry." Said Fred, staggering forward unsure where to go but needing to move.
"How will you find her?" Said Charlie, pointing out most obvious flaw, though he hated to take away their hope.
"THE GLASSES!" Roared George suddenly. He almost fell over as he launched out the room and up the stairs to their room. Fred let out an animalistic cry before following, leaving their bewildered and worried family behind.

George's fingers shook so much it felt like it too hours to unlock his trunk and dig out the box of Delphi's glasses.
He shoved them on as Fred searched for his own.

I want to find Delphi...
I need to find her...

"Location Uncertain" appeared in the centre of the of his glasses above a spinning arrow.
George wailed.