Chapter 39: Off the Walls

Snape.
Snape.
Severus.
Snape.

———

Bellatrix Lestrange giggled and cast a hissed spell without waiting on an answer.
Had she waited though, she would have seen the smile twisting across her face like her new scar.

She could see the damned future.
It was simple enough to side step the spell.
Bellatrix had played with her many times but the rules were very different.
There was no point fighting back when winning wasn't an option.
There was no point demonstrating just how much her abilities could help her when winning wasn't an option.
There was no point dodging spells when casting in return wasn't an option.

Bellatrix might one day fall to Molly Weasley, but that didn't mean Delphi couldn't have some revenge now.
The woman craved approval and her selfishness meant she had not yet even raised the alarm, she was alone, she wanted to recapture Delphi with no one else claiming credit.
No one else to hinder her.
No one else to help her.

"Expelliarmus!" Delphi snarled, side stepping the second curse to come her way which shattered a pot and resulted in a wet thud and squealing sound Delphi would not be standing near again.
Bellatrix yelped in surprise and Delphi let herself smirk as a soft thwick indicated the woman's wand landed an easy thirty paces from her in some potentially hostile foliage.
"Where did you get a wand!"
"Pettigrew." Delphi lied just because the rat absolutely deserved it.

"That pathetic sewer..." Bellatrix started muttering creative insults, conveniently helping Delphi track her slow movement in the direction of her wand.
"Don't move, or I'll crucio you." She declared, knowing exactly how the cow would respond.
"Ha! You have to mean those princess. Those aren't for Dumbledore's little golden children."
"No, they certainly aren't." Delphi agreed as Bellatrix took a loud step closer to her wand. "Good thing I'm not one and I fucking mean it. Crucio."
Her spell hit a woody plant which splintered, but the force of it clearly got her feelings across as Bellatrix didn't laugh.
"Crucio." She repeated, knowing Bellatrix would dodge it, and immediately cast a full body bind in the place she would land.
It was enjoyable hearing her topple sideways into some form of plant matter.
It was even better hearing the irate hisses that could only be a venomous tentacula from precisely that area of the greenhouse.

"Now listen here you sleazy bint." She said low and clear, "for I see more blind than you ever could with Omnioculars in Slytherin green."
She only got suspicious sucking noises in return but faint breathing confirmed the woman was conscious enough to listen.
"Your lord will die like a dog, and be forgotten before the next leap year. And in tomorrows's history books he will only warrant a small paragraph in Harry Potter's entire chapter."
That was stretching it a little, it would in fact be quite a large paragraph but short was a relative term, and prophecy was all about relative terms.

Not wanting to wait for Rodolphus to come searching for his 'Trixie', Delphi opened the garden door and slipped out into the cool evening air.

Unlike Greenhouses, wizarding gardens do not have a standard format.
Her best guess was that the wards would centre in on the house, meaning taking the most direct route away would get her to the boundary fastest.
However, odds were there would be a wall around the estate, and she doubted she could get a direct path even to that, without crawling through several rose bushes, box hedges and flower beds.

Regardless though she needed to move, and away was better than any other alternative she could come up with.
Hands outstretched, she walked forward, treading the line between haste and stealth as best she could, and keeping one foot on the border cobbles that lined the path to keep her verging off of it into the undoubtedly thorny plants the Malfoys favoured.