Chapter 32: Constant Vigilance

George spoke lowly, "who knew such a light haired girl could have such a dark sense of humour."
"You know we're never going to trust you're joking again right?" Muttered Fred, loosening his tie as Dumbledore's marble tomb was closed.
Delphi eyed them in honest confusion, "what do you mean?"

She was tired after having spent an hour convincing her father and sister to wear black for this funeral, as such, her ability to match wits with her boyfriends wasn't too great.
The funeral was big despite the dark times, and thankfully even Voldemort left it alone. Perhaps somewhere in his broken mind there still was a shred of respect for the one teacher he never managed to fool.
Order members, previous students, academics and even some ministry members were gathered to see the burial of the greatest wizard of an era. It was a somber occasion which didn't suit the man at all, and if they weren't heading into war, Delphi would happily have worn lilac robes and handed out lemon drops. But alas, this time was not one for eccentricity.

"What you said back in September, I'm guessing Draco's apple was actually significant and Snape really was royalty?" Prompted Fred as Elphias Doge got up to speak.
"Oh, yeah..." Delphi smiled awkwardly, it had been a joke in poor taste. "He's a prince. Surname not title though. And Draco used an apple to test that vanishing cabinet that let Bellatrix into the school."
"Yup." Sighed George in exasperation, "I'm going to assume you're telling prophesies everytime we ask about the future. And I'm never laughing over it again."
She hummed, unable to resist the challenge, "a part of You Know Who's soul is truly attached to Hufflepuff."
George choked and both twins stared at her in disbelief.
Delphi looked on ahead serenely.

———

Rufus Scrimgeour handed her the letter before going on his way to the burrow.
Dephi stared into the distance, long after the man apparated before heading back into the shop and moving her way through the various customers and ignoring their curious stares.

Reassuring her boyfriends with a smile that things were alright she left the main shop and headed into the flat above still gripping the letter tightly in both hands.
She'd known the loopy hand writing on sight, and wondered what on Earth Dumbledore had written to her. She wasn't sure she wanted to open it.

Delphi settled down in the living room and checked neither of her boys had followed her to check on her. Then she contemplated the letter before her, wondering what she wanted it to be. An apology? And acknowledgement that she'd been right to deny him? A legacy of twenty thousand galleons? Should she even open it?
Locking her jaw and setting her shoulders back, Delphi opened the envelope - she knew she'd be curious for ever if she didn't.

Scanning it, her racing thoughts calmed. An apology? This was Albus Dumbledore, she should have known better.
He wanted her to send anonymous notes to Harry, telling him where to find the Horcruxes as well as give Alistor Moody all the information she had so the order of the Phoenix could anticipate fights and prepare. He framed the whole thing as his dying wish.
Delphi incinerated the letter with no regrets.
When she looked up, she almost jumped at the sight of Fred watching her.

"Dumbledore?" He asked softly.
She nodded.
He opened his arms, and she rose before gently falling into them.
"He fought for good...but that never required him to be a good man." Said Fred quietly, resting his chin on her head in the way he knew she liked. Delphi sunk deeper into his warmth, finding strength there and comfort that she was coming to realise she always needed.

———

There was a bang, and Delphi turned from Harry and Ginny to race out toward it.
"Here!" Roared Lupin, struggling toward her with George leaning on him heavily, "into the house."
"George..." she whispered, taking him from the other side and helping the werewolf lead him into the burrow, "oh Georgie..."
"Delphi..." he muttered weakly, passing in and out of consciousness as they stumbled inside.

"My boy..." whispered Molly, reaching for them and guiding them to the large sofa to lay him down.
"He'll be okay," murmured Delphi. "And Harry's the real Harry, Mr Lupin, I already confirmed."
Remus gave her a surprised look, but she ignored him, focusing entirely on George's unsteady breathing as the others moved back outside.

She was a little surprised when Molly gave her the essence of dittany though.
It must have shown on her face because the older woman gave her a solemn smile, "he's yours now dear, the job of taking care of him is now up to you."
"Thank you." She managed, taking the potion and adding it to the wound carefully. "Thank you Mrs Weasley."
"Molly, dear. Call me Molly."

Kingsley and Hermione were next to arrive, then Bill and Fleur, Ron and Tonks right after.
When Fred stumbled in, he went to her side immediately.
"Is he...?"
"Absolutely fine. As I knew you'd be." She said, taking his hand and squeezing it.
Fred took a shaking breath, mustering a scowl, "wondering why my girl wasn't rushing into my arms. Ron and Hermione were all but snogging on the porch, and you're nowhere in sight after I just fought for my life as a half blind specky git."
She rolled her eyes and gave his cheek a quick peck while the attention was focused elsewhere.

A groan brought her eyes back to the patient though.
"George..." Delphi kissed him, hands shaking as they brushed over his bandaged head. She may have known, but it still terrified her.
The twin in question cracked a pained grin, "hey Delph, cast your patronus would you? If it's missing an ear we'll finally know whose it is."
Fred laughed weakly whilst the rest of the Weasleys looked on in confusion.
"Delphi? I thought you were dating Fred?" Asked Ron.
The trio turned to look at him, though Delphi's hand never left George's cheek.
"I am." She turned to look at George, "right Fred?"
"Of course!"
"Seriously..." Ginny stared at them, "it's Fred on the sofa? He answered to George earlier?"
"But I'm George!" Yelled Fred, sounding distraught, "One of us is missing an ear and you still can't tell the difference?!?!? Honestly! Are we even part of this family at all???"

Bill usually could sense the mood, but regardless he decided to kill it. "Madeye's dead."
The members of the order shuffled uneasily, and Delphi closed her eyes. She'd wanted to volunteer. Swap with Mundungus, but it was too risky. She had a feeling he'd known though. Definitely why he'd partnered up with the worm to begin with.
She felt Fred rub her shoulder. She'd never told them about her talks with Moody, they were probably confused as to why, out of everyone there, she was the one fighting back tears.

Since no one else had known him well, Delphi left her mourning until the rest of the household had headed to bed. Most were too relieved to have only lost one person in the disaster, and she didn't want to take that away from them, so she locked away her grief, during the meal that followed, filled with plans, and news.

It was only after the last of the order had disapparated and they finally heard Molly Weasley head up to bed, that she snuck out, a twin either side to sit by the chicken hutch and take a moment to think.
The twins watched the long grass, as she knelt on the ground, conjuring and lighting a candle for her old friend, and in a strange way, father figure.
"We talked a lot." She said quietly, finally answering their unspoken questions, "sixth year when he was locked in a trunk, I smuggled him fire whiskey."
George snorted. He was sat down beside her while Fred kept watch. His balance was a bit of a mess after the injury so he didn't stand when he could avoid it, and milked the whole event for all it was worth. Fred had bandaged himself and they swapped occasionally just to prove they could. No one bar Delphi was entirely sure whether it was George or Fred who was actually injured.

"So, the crazy girl and the crazy man bonded in a death eater's room over fire whiskey. Why not."
She smiled, tears finally falling down her cheeks into the grass and her voice wavering, "he was a great man, and like everyone who has, and will be lost in this war...he deserved so much better. He told me to embrace my feelings for you both, I'd still be running away if it wasn't for him."
The candle flickered in the wind and Delphi let herself remember a true hero.

Fred left, but Delphi ignored him, gazing into the flickering flame, thinking about everything and nothing.
Eventually he returned though, and in his hand he had a bottle of fire whiskey.
"Mum hates the stuff, and Dad can't complain that we stole it without admitting he had it to begin with. So we might as well see the man off the way he'd like." Rambled Fred, looking uncertain.
He handed George and Delphi mugs before settling beside them with his own, and pouring the golden liquid into them.
George raised his, "constant vigilance?"
Delphi swallowed, her throat feeling tight as she raised her own mug with Fred. "Constant vigilance."