Chapter 19: Expected Showers

This is a good chapter! I hope you guys like it too.
Featuring protective twins.

———

"What are you working on?"

Delphi looked up from her desk to see Harry looking curiously at her runework.
"Hi Harry, I'm making some glasses."
The raven haired boy managed an awkward smile, "I got that much, what Runes are you carving on them though? I've seen Hermione's Ancient Rune homework before, but none of the stuff she's studying looks like that."
She gestured to the seat beside her and he settled there, before she moved the glasses frame closer to him.

She could still see that he fought a part of himself every time he mustered the courage to ask something, even after four years out of the Dursley's reach (mostly). She doubted Hermione treating him like an idiot (however justifiably), and Ron mocking people who actually tried to study helped the poor boy either.
So she answered his question in detail, pointing out arrays as she did so and smiling warmly.
"All words are technically made up. Someone came up with them someday to describe an object, feeling, experience, concept...though our spells are rooted in Latin not English, technically with enough belief you could perform a lumos by using an English incantation instead. It's about belief and understanding of the words. You have to know them in your subconscious because that's the part of you that can command your magic directly."

He seemed wide eyed at the thought, so she pushed on, "these runes won't be found in any of Hermione's textbooks, or anywhere further afield, because I made them up. They are invented by me. That means unless I write down what they each mean and do, no one else can know how they work, and thus how to copy or unravel them. They are unique."
Harry spoke up tentatively, "I've tried casting spells with different and no incantations before...but I couldn't do it. Actually keeping strong enough belief in these runes...how can you do it?"
Delphi tapped her nose with her index finger, "magic, Mr Potter."
He rolled his eyes. "Secret of the trade then?"
"Yeah, Ravenclaw's honour." She eyed him up and down, "what are you doing in the library? Rare to see you here without Miss Granger?"
He rolled his eyes, "do you think I'd be left alone if she wasn't with me? I'm actually looking for a book on manticores? I'm curious about the origins of Hagrid's Skrewts."
"Ah, then you're on the right track with manticores. There's a good book two shelves that way," she gestured to her left, "a slightly more specialist book "the magnificence of manticores" by Newt Scamander. There's a rather interesting book on portkeys right next to it."
He nodded gratefully, "thank you, I can never get the hang of where subjects are sorted in this library. For all her insistence on rules, Madame Pince doesn't seem to like organising them much."
Delphi smirked, "that's because she can't. Books make friends you see, and if she tries to separate them, they'll just find their way back to each other when she's not looking."
Harry let out a sharp laugh that had a group of Slytherins glaring at them distainfully. "That explains why she gets so grumpy. Thanks for telling me, I'll pass it on to Hermione so she has one less thing to puzzle over."
Delphi nodded and watched as the young man wandered in the direction she'd shown him, shoulders hunching over again with the weight of problems he shouldn't have to solve himself.
Then she turned back to the glasses. The shit show wasn't something a mere mortal like herself could fix. But these glasses were a challenge she could handle.

She wanted them to think.
She'd taken heavy inspiration from Ravenclaw's search books, the sorting hat too, but also from muggle technology. A girl in her Charms class constantly raved about muggle 'phones' which had faces a bit like wizard portraits but you could control and interact with them. She knew creating runes was risky, but she just got them. She could feel the alphabet was stored in a corner of her mind, waiting for use. She had this in her, the potential perhaps to drag the wizarding world into the twentieth century kicking and screaming.
She knew that creating messaging books that could be linked would be a sensible start, but she also knew two redheads who had given up a very useful map to someone with far greater need. Those two took priority even if they shouldn't so semi conscious glasses that required runes to match those of the sorting hat were required. In for a penny in for a pound.
Besides, it was nearly April.