The Lady

Isabelle Chambers had grown up within a stone's throw of Snow cottage and as such, had spent a good deal of her childhood playing with the Park siblings.

It had even been the wish of their parents that she might someday marry Master Jimin. Something that very nearly came to pass.

Their three-year engagement was never a love match. But both were persuaded that a union between them would be an advantageous one.

In the end it had been Isabelle that had called it off. Not because she sensed Jimin's indifference to her, but because her potential husband lacked the status and ambition that would help elevate her in society.

Those reasons had wounded Jimin greatly. He had always been happy with his life. He was after all a gentleman, who would inherit land and a small fortune and it hurt to discover that they were not enough to satisfy the future Mrs Park.

And although his dismay was more wounded pride than anything else. Spectators to the split would mistake his suffering for a broken heart.

That was why June looked rather protective of her brother, as they happened upon the lady in question, on a visit to the village square.

The all too familiar brunette, breezed across the stone flags, looking even more beautiful than when they last met.

"Mr Park! June! How long has it been?" the attractive lady enquired

"5 years, at least" June replied on behalf of her brother, who had suddenly lost his voice.

When the union between them ended, Isabelle moved away down south, where society was much more appealing.

"Goodness! How quick that time has passed. It still feels like yesterday when I was running around snow cottage playing hide and seek. Do you remember?"

"Hmmm" June coldly replied.

"What is it that you are doing here?" June bluntly added, hoping to spare them anymore fake pleasantries from the woman.

"I'm a guest at the Jeon's" Isabelle boastfully said.

"I am to stay a month as a particular friend of Miss Hope Jeon. Are you acquainted with the family?"

"We are" June continued to reply, watching Isabelle pout at her curtness.

"Well, I imagine I will see you both at the Hannam ball next week, then" she added, then seem to fidget a little, trying to end the conversation.

June was happy to oblige and with some feeble excuse managed to remove herself and Jimin from Miss Chambers company.

As they finished up their business in the village, Jimin was still very quiet and seemed lost in thought.

"Are you feeling unwell brother?"

"I am fine, June. Just a little shocked to meet Miss Chambers after all this time" Jimin replied honestly.

"Do you think...?" June began to say, then paused, believing that Jimin's silence was because he still had feelings for Miss Chambers.

"Do you think Isabelle may have some designs to make Mr Jeon her husband? "she all but whispered tentatively.

Jimin just bowed his head. That was exactly what he had been thinking the moment he heard Isabelle say she was staying at Hannam. The thought of her being future mistress there, hurt his heart.

His history with Miss Chambers may have been long forgotten and no fondness remained for her, but for some reason, her staying at Hannam bothered him more than it should.

And in the following days Jimin's mood did not improve. June had returned to her coastal home to welcome Captain Jin back after his latest sea voyage and young Tae spend most of his day, exploring the woods, at the bottom of Snow Cottage, embarking on his own little adventures.

With the sudden solitude, Jimin's mind found his thoughts wondering to the happenings at Hannam Hill. His neighbour; Jungkook Jeon was exactly what Isabelle Chambers was looking for. The man was highly respected locally and had links with society in the south. Together with his wealth, grand estate and handsomeness, Jungkook would surely give her the elevation in society she so craved.

Where they together right now?, Did they laugh together?, Take walks together?, Discuss novels and poetry together? Endless thoughts swirled Jimin's head, threatening to drive him insane.

A thankful distraction arrived, when Mr Min happened upon the cottage one evening, inviting Jimin to the local tavern for a few ales and some good company.

The strong local beer, loosened Jimin lips and he spoke at length of the issues with Miss Chambers return in the village. After a good number of hours, the ever patient Mr Min, thought it was time to interrupt.

"Do you know, Mr Park, your sister, pleaded with me to keep you company tonight. She was concerned that Isabelle's arrival had stirred some old wounds of the heart."

"Yet these past three hours, it is Mr Jeon you have spoken of. It is almost as though you have more feeling for Master Jungkook then you do for Miss Chambers" he said, leaving those words hanging heavily in the air.

Then Mr Min casually took a sip of beer, as if he hadn't just dropped a thunderbolt on the conversation. Jimin, stunned into silence looked up at his friend, with panic rising in his eyes at having his biggest secret unveiled.

"Please do not fret at my words. I've known both you and Mr Jeon for many years and the moment, Jungkook told me he was moving to Hannam, I thought of you" Mr Min quickly added.

"What do you mean?" Jimin shakily asked, his stomach churning over with nerves.

"I always thought the two of you could became the very best of friends" he said, emphasizing his words, to suggest they had deeper meaning. A meaning Jimin was hesitant to believe.

"He looks at you differently than he does anyone else of his acquaintance, have you not noticed?" Mr Min calmly stated.

Jimin had noticed. He felt his heart rate quicken every time Jungkook gazed upon him. But he had convinced himself that he had seen more in that gaze than was actually there.

Hearing Mr Min say those things out loud, somehow made it all more real. Made it sound quite dangerous. He was suggesting the feelings between himself and Mr Jeon were more than just neighbourly. Feelings that up until that moment, Jimin had hidden away deep inside of himself.

Relationships between men were not acknowledged in society and Jimin panicked that his feelings had been discovered, but Mr Min did not seem alarmed at the discovery, but sat looking at him with a warm accepting smile.

Jimin swallowed down the remaining alcohol in his tumbler, hoping it would give him courage to face Mr Min. He wasn't sure how to respond to it all, what to say next, so instead he tried to turn the attention away from himself.

"You seem delighted at having been so observant?" Jimin finally said to his friend across the table, who had been sitting rather smugly. Mr Min gave a satisfied nod in affirmation.

"Indeed, I am"

"Well then, you must have noticed Miss Hope Jeon gazes at you in same manner" Jimin commented, and saw the grin across Mr Min's face quickly disappear.

If Jimin was to confront his own feelings, then he damn sure he would make sure Mr Min did same.

As the two friends continue to swallow down the local ale, the conversation between them suddenly became a lot more introspective.