The New Year

The new year brought a blanket of crisp snow and the long anticipated wedding. Jimin sat in the Church pew and watched Hope Jeon stand at the alter with her new husband, Mr Min. It had been a beautiful ceremony of two people he cherished deeply.

The church was full of family and friends, proving how loved the couple were. It was truly a wonderful sight. Yet there was a knot in Jimin's stomach, and he felt ashamed to have it there.

While glancing over an incredibly proud looking Jungkook, Jimin realised that pain he felt was envy. He knew that he would never get to stand in front his friends and family as Hope and Mr Min have done and publicly declare his love for Jungkook.

His future with Mr Jeon would always have to remain hidden gestures and secret rendezvous. He cherished what he already had, but it made him a little sad, realising he could never announce it to the world.

Mr Jackson, who had been sitting beside Jimin in the church, had noticed his forlorn mood.

"I thought you did not approve of marriage, Mr Park?" he commented, seeing the wistful expression in Jimin's eyes.

"You are mistaken, I never said I disapprove of marriage, only that it was unlikely I, myself, would ever get married," Jimin corrected and smiled sadly.

Mr Jackson was constantly puzzled by Jimin's comments on marriage. He knew most of the young ladies of the village would line up around the square to be more acquainted with Mr Park. He was one of the most amiable gentlemen he had ever known. Kind, handsome, and very eligible. Surely, there was someone Jimin could have a special connection with. Yet, when he sounded so hopeless, Mr Jackson couldn't help but wonder why.

Jimin pulled away from his sad thoughts, excused himself from Mr Jackson's interrogation, and went to greet the newly wedded couple. There really was no place for self-pity when surrounded with such wonderful things. Aside from the wedding of his two friends, he had more news to be joyous over. June and the Captain had revealed that they were to have a child.

And to round off the wonderful news, Jimin's mother had finally set a date to return home. It was an announcement Jimin, June, and even Tae had longed to hear and though it was still a good few months away. Just having a date set was enough to give them all strength.

As the celebrations of the day carried on back at Hannam, Jimin forgot all about his moment of envy and just enjoyed everything he had in life, whilst watching his loved ones dancing and singing the day away.

***

Barely three weeks since the wedding, and Jungkook was feeling the absence of his sister greatly. He sat in the sunroom at Snow cottage with Jimin and Mr Jackson, enjoying some afternoon tea, while contemplating a journey to Mr Min's home.

"You cannot visit them just yet, Mr Jeon" Mr Jackson declared while pouring another cup of tea from the table they all sat around.

"They are newlyweds. They need time to themselves, " he added, giggling slightly.

Jungkook blushed while catching Jimin giggle, too. He had not thought about that, not considered how they might be spending their days alone, together. To be honest, he didn't want to think about it. Even though they were just a year apart in age. Jungkook would always see Hope as the little girl, he wanted to protect.

Jimin mocked Jungkook's brotherly bluster, reminding him of how he acted when they first met at the Assembly Room ball, when he had dared to ask his Hope to dance.

They teased Jungkook for a little while longer until a maid arrived with an urgent telegram that changed the comfortable atmosphere in an instant.

Jimin's heart pounded heavily, even before opening the message. The last telegram he'd received so unexpectedly had informed him of the death of his sister Jenny and her husband. He dreaded what this note might reveal.

Then the colour drained from his face as his worst fears were realised.

"Whatever is it?" Mr Jackson insisted upon seeing Jimin's sickly complexion.

"It's Captain Jin. He's injured"

Jungkook's face matched Jimin's pale tone, as he felt his own heart ache.

"An accident while at sea. He's unconscious, and they are unsure how serious it is" Jimin read on, aloud.

Then he was on his feet, a little disoriented with all the thoughts running through his mind.

"I have to go to June, she is there alone with Tae and she'll be so anxious".

Jungkook stood and took Jimin's hands to help steady him.

"Go and gather some clothes together. I'll ready my carriage to take you to the coast." he directed.

Jimin nodded absently, then left to do just that. Within a half hour, he was back to climb aboard the carriage, but his head was still whirling.

"I need to sort some business with- and arrange with the tenets to-" Jimin muttered, thinking of everything that still needed attending to.

Jungkook quickly angled himself in front of Jimin and, out of eyesight of Mr Jackson for a moment, then placed his hand warmly against Jimin's cheek. His thumb brushed against his bottom lip softly, gathering Jimin's fill attention.

"Go be with your family, Jimin. Leave everything here to me, my steward, and Mr Jackson. We will handle it all. Rest assured, " he said.

With those comforting words, Jimin took a final look into those beautiful wide eyes of his neighbour, took a calming deep breath, and climbed aboard the carriage, swiftly setting off towards the coast.