The Engagement

True to Mr Min's letter, within the fortnight, the Jeon's had returned to Hannam Hill with the addition of Miss Chambers.

Jimin's hope of avoiding the family failed, when within 48 hours, all three were sat at the dining table in Snow Cottage, following an invitation from June.

It was agony!

Captain Jin was still a guest at the Cottage for another two days, and within 10 minutes of sitting at the table, he knew without doubt that something was between the two men. The tension between the pair was unmistakable.

He also realised that Hope Jeon was aware that something was going on with Jimin and Jungkook , for she wore the same look of concern as he did.

The others around the table, however, were clearly oblivious to it all. Tae; too young to understand, and Miss Chambers too caught up in the sound of her own voice to pay much attention to anyone else.

Even sweet June was unaware of the situation. Jin often observed that his wife's worldly intelligence fell short of noticing the subtilties of human interaction. She still believed Jimin's concern over the engagement was due to lingering feelings he had for Isabelle Chambers. That's when Jin realised he would have to break the truth to her, sooner rather than later.

The awkward atmosphere between the two would have been much more apparent, if not for Isabelle's ability to keep attention on herself.

"How is your mother? Is she still in her homeland?" the woman suddenly asked across the table whilst slicing through a large cut of ham.

Jimin felt a stab to his heart at the mention of his mother. He missed her dearly, and Isabelle had an uncanny knack of finding painful topics of conversation.

"She is very well. I wrote her a few weeks ago, although I think it will be a while before I receive a reply" Jimin said, realising that his last letter, was filled with endless tales of new owner of Hannam Hill.

"She has been away so long, I suspect she may prefer life in Joseon. I wouldn't be surprised if she never returned, " Isabelle added carelessly, and Jimin caught sight of June, a fork raised fiercely, ready to attack, but thankfully held back by Captain Jin.

Their mother had indeed been gone a long time. The journey to Joseon had not been an easy voyage and was the reason for her lengthy stay. It would, after all, probably be the last time she visited her ancestral home, so she would undoubtedly want to make the most of her time there. Nevertheless, he longed for the day she would return.

Jimin's mood soured further as Isabelle jumped to another painful topic - her engagement. She couldn't wait to tell endless tales of 'Her Mr Jeon.' She spoke about how attentive he had been, how charming and perfect he was. All the while, the man in question sat quietly, letting her spin elaborate stories.

Jimin felt nauseous with the sickly sweetness of it all, but what twisted his gut even more was that Jungkook, didn't deny any of it and Jimin was forced to consider if his engagement was more than just a necessity to secure the future of Hannan Hill. There was the possibility that Jungkook was actually fond of Miss Chambers.

That thought rapidly grew in Jimin's mind until he couldn't take it any more. He had to get away from the dining table. Away from Isabelle's stories and away from Jungkook.

The second the conversation turned to discussions of a beloved classic novel, Jimin rose from his seat.

"I have a copy of that story in my study. I will bring it, then we will all be clear of the character's name, " Jimin said, already out of the door, before anyone had time to comment.