The Dinner Party

Jungkook cursed while knotting his necktie. He had a thumping headache and the evening had not even started.

How on earth had he been persuaded to have a dinner party. He did not want to have a dozen people tramp through his home just to prove he was a good neighbour.

He had never been at ease with small talk and the whole thought of the evening was making him feel sick.

To top it off, while trying to feign interest in his neighbour's tales, he would no doubt, have to watch Mr Jimin Park flirt with his sister.

It had been a few weeks since he had first met the neighbour and he had already gotten under his skin.

Seeing him so close with Hope, gave him a bitter taste in his throat. It felt much more than brotherly concern but Jungkook really could not put his finger on why he felt that way.

It also did not help matters that he had developed a sadistic enjoyment in provoking Master Park. Since their introduction at the assembly ball, the pair, in their roles as landlords had reason to meet on numerous occasions to discuss land and tenant issues and Jungkook could not help but disagree with him on almost every point.

He did not mean to be so argumentative, but his neighbour was so passionate about his matters, that Jungkook could not stop antagonising him. The owner of Snow Cottage looked nothing short of... endearing, when he was furious.

Jungkook quickly forced away those confusing thoughts upon hearing the trundling of carriages arriving outside.

He took a last deep breath, pulled through the final knot on his necktie and went to find his sister, ready to welcome the evening's guests.

***

The dining room's high ceilings always gave the area a lofty echo, but with so many people seated around the grand table, those cold vibrations were for once, muted. That, together with the warming candlelight, made the room feel almost cosy.

As they ate, various influential people from the village took turns entertaining the party with useless tales that Jungkook had no interest in. Thankfully, good food and generous servings of wine had helped him tolerate the tedium.

The alcohol even managed to abate his irritation at hearing incessant giggling coming from his sister and Jimin, who both were seated to his right.

Their childish behaviour became so apparent that other diners had taken notice and one guest took the opportunity to take control of the conversation.

Mr Jackson was a plump gentleman, with an ever-present rosy tint to his cheeks. He had made himself quite indispensable within the county, due to his ability to give sound business advice, but he also enjoyed giving his opinion on just about everything else. From the way he was eyeing Jimin and Hope, it seemed they would be the subject of his dialogue.

"So, when are we to see you finally settle down Mr Park" Mr Jackson said, making Jungkook nearly choke on a piece of roast beef he had been chewing.

It was clear that Mr Jackson had Hope Jeon in mind as a future Mrs Park and Jungkook felt himself soba up from the wine at an alarming speed.

He eyeballed Jimin, waiting to see his response and watched as the attractive landowner slowly place his cutlery down and roll his eyes as though the topic of marriage was a subject well covered.

"I shall say this openly, in hope that you will see the message is circulated well" Jimin said to Mr Jackson, his tone suddenly so different from the giggles he had shared with Hope just a moment before.

"I very much doubt I shall ever marry", Jimin informed the small group, plainly, with utter conviction.

"What nonsense' Mr Jackson snickered at the absurdity of the statement, but Jimin ignored the interruption and gave this reasoning directly, knowing Mr Jackson to be one of the biggest gossips in town.

'My late sister changed my opinion on marriage. I witnessed such an adoring and passionate love between Jenny and her husband, that I have become selfish and do not wish to settle for anything less than what they had. I have met many engaging, accomplished and beautiful ladies, but none that have stirred my heart so." Jimin impassioned.

He risked a glance over at Hope, to check she was not offended. Jimin had built a friendship with Miss Jeon, but he believed, she had already given her heart away to someone else. Although never confirmed, he was sure the young Miss had feelings for a certain grumpy gentleman with whom her family was well acquainted with. Thankfully, she smiled back at Jimin, and looked a little lighter at his declaration.

Jungkook's expression, however, was more unreadable. It was not one of anger or relief, but something that Jimin just could not place and his intense gaze made his stomach flip a little.

He quickly turned back to Mr Jackson, who seemed far from defeated with his efforts.

"You can marry a good woman first Mr Park and love will come later, over time" he said, as though that was how all marriage should be.

"And how unfortunate that would've been if my sister had taken that advice. Jenny may well have lost her life before love had time to flourish. I think that would have been truly tragic, don't you think?"

The answer seemed to subdue Mr Jackson's attempts, but he had not completely given up hope.

"What about an heir, Mr Park. Someone to inherit at least."

"I have other family. My sister Jenny has a son, Tae. He has his father's last name, but has Park blood running through his veins and that is good enough for me. I do not need a child of my own who can inherit".

Mr Jackson shook his head sorrowfully at Jimin's words, realising the young master had an answer for everything.

"With that attitude, you may grow old and find yourself very lonely, Mr Park".

Jimin gave a soft, sad smile and looked over at Hope once more, knowing that he had made the right decision.

"My own loneliness I will manage in due course, but I couldn't bear to be responsible for someone else's, just because I was unable to give them my whole heart" Jimin finally said, then declaring the topic over, he picked up his knife and fork and returned to his meal.

Hope felt a weight lift from her shoulders. Since moving to Hannam, there had been a constant eagerness amongst their acquaintances to see her wed.

Jimin had become a good friend, but she had never thought of him a potential match. However, with all the talk of love, she instinctively glanced across the table at Mr Min. A man she had known nearly all her life, and a man who she had given her heart to a long time ago. It was surely unrequited, yet Hope was not quite ready to give it up.

Turning then to Jimin, Hope was surprised to see his eyes cast down, looking awkwardly at his food, his cheeks deep with a blush. She wondered what had occurred for him to suddenly look so flustered, when from the corner of her eye she spotted her brother, staring straight at Mr Park with a look of awe.

Hope prayed others around the table had not noticed Jungkook's expression, for she recognised it all too well. It certainly was not a look of distain or annoyance, but on the contrary, he gazed upon Jimin in exactly the same way she had been staring at Mr Min these many years.