The letter

Captain Jin sat comfortably in the drawing room of Snow Cottage, entertaining Jimin with tales of his adventures at sea. June and Tae had retired to bed leaving the two men to each other's company. Jin had always been able to tell a great tale and that evening was no different, except for the fact that Jimin appeared troubled.

"You have not looked your usual self these passed two weeks. Your mind seems engaged elsewhere and that place does not look like an agreeable one" Jin commented, looking truly concerned for his brother-in-law.

"All is well, there is just some business pressing on my mind. I will put the thoughts away. They will wait another day" Jimin replied, forcing a smile across his face.

Having Captain Jin there was such a rare pleasure, he lit up every room he walked into. You just couldn't help but smile in his presence. June had married well, and it was easy to see how much Jin adored her too.

The pair talked all night till the candles almost burned themselves out. They laughed and drank and reminisced, but as the hours ran on, and tiredness crept in, Jimin's anxieties once again flowed to the forefront of his mind.

It had been two weeks since that Earth shattering kiss with Jungkook and Jimin had thought of little else since. Every time he closed his eyes he pictured the morning his neighbour entered the study. That hungry look in his eyes, the taste of his lips against his own. The feel of his warm hands grazing across his chest. The whole affair had driven him to distraction. Then, the man had gone, not a word since, and Jimin did not know how to manage his feelings.

Captain Jin sat and watched Jimin's internal conflict.

He considered himself a very worldly man. Frequently boasted that he had seen everything there was to see whilst sailing the oceans. And with spending the majority of that time, almost exclusively in the company of men. He had, on occasion, seen the same anxieties in some of them, as he now saw in Jimin.

Jin had known the Park family for many years and had wondered if Jimin's reluctance to find a wife was perhaps because he preferred the company of men to women. But it was such a hard topic to broach, especially when he could not be absolutely certain of his assumptions.

"You know you can speak to me about anything. I am your family and I want to help you through any difficulties you have" Jin urged Jimin sincerely.

The master of the house welcomed the kind offer and was quiet for the longest time, whilst deliberating over Jin's suggestion, but in the end he was just too scared to put his thoughts out there to someone else. Instead he lifted his eyes to meet Jin and forced yet another fake smile across his face.

"Thank you, brother, but it is a problem that can't not be helped, I'm sure it will resolve itself in time"

Jin could no nothing but accept Jimin's decision and tried not to concern himself with the watery gaze that filled Jimin's eyes as he spoke.

***

The following morning, breakfast was a noisy affair, heightened by the terrible thumping headache Jin sported, that was surely the result of the previous rum-filled evening.

Jimin was similarly effected, whilst trying to fake interest in Tae's eager chatter about the book Jin had bought him from abroad and June's excited tales of a botanical garden in the neighbouring county she wished to visit.

It was only when a servant entered the room and handed Jimin a letter, that the room quietened down with interest. It was from Mr Min. Jimin recognised the writing.

"You can open it here, brother and tell us of the news Mr Min has to offer" June said enthusiastically.

Jimin did as his sibling wished and ripped into the envelope, quietly reading for a moment, before the colour drained from his face.

"What is it?, what does it say?" June begged, fear rising in her cheeks and seeing the sudden drop in Jimin's countenance

"Mr Jeon is engaged to be married!" he choked out.

When Jimin seemed incapable of expanding on the statement, Captain Jin, took the letter and read it aloud.

'My dear friend

I must forgo the usual greetings for I have distressing news and wish to get straight to the point.

Mr Jeon is engaged to Miss Chambers.

I only arrived in Bath two days ago, but Hope has told me about a situation that has transpired.

Jungkook's Uncle has been causing a stir. Promising to one day take Hannam Hill for his own family.

After their parents died, the Uncle treated both Jungkook and Hope very ill indeed and he is resolute in ensuring that doesn't happen.

As such, he has been persuaded to strengthen his position and marry, so that the house could be passed down his own future children.

I could not counsel him on the decision for the deed was done before I arrived in town.

I am sorry to deliver this news in such a way, but you should take this time to prepare yourself, as I suspect that when the Jeon's return to Hannam, Miss Chambers will once again accompany them.

Yours sincerely

Y Min

"That blasted women" June called, forgetting their young nephew was at the table, listening.

"Why does it have to be her of all people. She always made it clear that she disliked the country living here, yet she is suddenly eager to return to it"

Jin, let his wife continue to rant, for his attention was fixed on his brother -in-law.

One look in Jimin's woeful eyes, strengthened his assumptions from the previous evening.

Jimin had surely given his heart to one of the people mentioned in the letter, and he was more sure than ever, it wasn't the beautiful women June was currently criticising, but the man who lived just across the fields.

Although he didn't know the particulars of their relationship. Captain Jin, in that moment felt his heart break for his brother in law.